Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-25-2024 12:29 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,243 Replies
userIy1005Mh3H
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Yeah, ur right. If we want apple we would ve bought it. Samsung, you have a crush on Apple? OK bye then. Your blurry, noisy, loss background details camera pic suck compared to my strong note10plus, your screen is a joke now even the Chinese phone quarter your price could make fun of you. Im so stupid I bought 2 for me and wife and now pretty upset! Not so rush again next time!

0 Likes
Kas2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Had the same issue, went from s23 ultra to s24 ultra and the colour difference is ridiculous. Dim and washed out on the s24U.

Waiting to receive our business phone s24 plus on Friday before deciding if these are all going back. Not paying for these downgrades.

Mikseri
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Got my S24 Ultra yesterday and noticed the dull colours immideatly when comparing it to my old S21 Ultra. There are some hidden settings im trying out today so ill let you know if that helped.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS23Ultra/comments/11tvyju/hidden_screen_modes/

0 Likes
SaneiPlushie
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It doesn't work with Android 14
0 Likes
SuperDuperSamShine
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It won't help. Don't you think we've all tried this. There is no hidden feature. Samsung intentionally made the screen dull. We're all tech savvy. This is all on Samsung and now our screens look like the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
0 Likes
Dandeepmagic79
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I cannot comprehend how bad the colours on my new S24 ultra are. I was just comparing to my Note 10+ yesterday and it's what you call day and night. Couldn't get it to set anywhere near the colours of my Note 10+. And don't get me even started on design or weight of the device.

I am seriously considering returning it, and threat myself to brand new Note 10+. I absolutely love the feel of it in my hands and my pocket ( size and shape wise).

Summest
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24

What is the return window?

I plan to see how mine looks, since opinions vary.

Summest
S24 and S21.
0 Likes
userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I believe 14 days and I'm returning it after 1 week if it's not fixed, samsung better priotize this because other than the terrible colors the phone is good
MM91
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Frankly jealous that atleast you guys have a return window. I am forever stuck with a budget phone display on a premium phone. I hope the Ultra bombs and people realise the lower priced versions are a better deal 😛

userIy1005Mh3H
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

The camera is bad. Blurry, loss details, noisy backround if you enlarge it. Busy and confused focus lens or software. Backlit and flash scene in low light is way down compared to note 10+.

0 Likes