Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 01-28-2024 04:18 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,230 Replies
Nieves
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Great summary of the vivid mode problems of the screen. I don't see any difference between the "vivid" mode and the "natural" either. A fix should be coming soon:

The 6.8-inch Dynamic AMOLED 2x screen on the Galaxy S24 Ultra seems to have color-related issues. Some Galaxy S24 Ultra users have noticed that their smartphone's display renders slightly washed-out colors compared to the Galaxy S23 Ultra. This problem appears only when using the ā€˜Vivid' color profile in the phone's display-related settings. With the ā€˜Natural' color profile, colors seem to appear similar to the Galaxy S23 Ultra. Users have started complaining about this issue on social media websites like Reddit and X. The same issue also appears to be affecting the Galaxy S24 and the Galaxy S24+.

0 Likes
ravitejagupta
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Spoke with Samsung customer care today and they are pretending to be completely oblivious and were walking me through stupid and futile diagnosis tests. it's been almost a week and Samsung is not admitting and educating their customer support team about this.

I have issues with Samsung Pass as well. None of the credentials were transferred to the new phone, I am disappointed.

0 Likes
humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

humour
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Multiple users reported the issue with display in S24U. Looks grainy with jeans like pattern. Not sure if this is separate issue from washed out / dull colors but this is unacceptable. Does anyone with washed out colors see this too? Especially visible on dark grays. More samples here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/1ecIGar0VXcLyq_8pkwmXD9r-bh-rUQXU
0 Likes
Utsav89
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi @HUMOR Even I can see the pattern but customer care simply denied that its an issue not sure what to do now. Link to my post on Samsung website:https://r2.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S/Weird-diagonal-lines-on-Samsung-Galaxy-S-24-Ultra/m-p/1...

0 Likes
jahnnybgood
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I've got the same thing, and now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. I'm not sure how this can be fixed with software, though.
0 Likes
WarSouL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Same.
0 Likes
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S24

Not seeing this at all on my Galaxy S24 Ultra.  I do have my resolution set to QHD+ but have changed no other setting from their defaults.  I even tried extreme zooming from my S22 Ultra, and saw nothing of the sort.  My entire screen is solid colors, just like what we are seeing in the Bold Font & Font Size bubbles in your screenshot in the OP.

Also tried cranking my brightness to it's max and still solid colors on the same screen as your screenshot.

0 Likes
userMa6wh43DGU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Yeah I traded in my Galaxy s23 ultra which was very nice phone. I've read everything about what's going on with this s20 for older I just got. It says early orders of this phone have the problem I don't understand why it's only early users and what has changed and what they did different on later ones coming out? And this issue already what else is wrong with this thing that we don't know about? If it's a bug in the software why are some working perfect and some are makes no sense to me it's production

userJphoJL5JS2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
what's worse is samsung won't officially come out and say it's a software issue, it's concerning cause I'll need to return this phone by next week if they don't fix