Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-06-2024 07:35 AM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,234 Replies
Naters69
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
We need to keep the lackluster vivid mode issue out front... Samsung keeps deleting peoples post. Everyone who has an issue should continue to let samsung know. If you have no issue, good for you. I didnt buy an apple, i bought a Samsung because of the display. If the display is not fixed this will be the last Samsung and Android I buy! 
Options
Galaxy S24

While I'm perfect fine with the colors on my S24U, I really miss the punchier Vivid Mode like most people.

So I'm hoping for a fix.

Keep voicing your opinion folks !!!

bondo008
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Agree! I keep waiting to hear something but not sure what's going on. I'm still holding onto my note 20 ultra because it actually looks better. I just want to know if it's going to stay this way. I'm very worried this is the direction samsung is going.
bondo008
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Build quality is great and all, but let's be honest. Most people put a case on their phone, so the only thing u really see is the screen. Let us choose how the screen looks please because we know what a samsung amoled screen is capable of.
Naters69
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
Honestly, I've been on the fence as to moving to Apple. Their single core and multi-core scores are insane. I decided to stay with Samsung because of the insanely good colors of that OLED. Now the S24 Ultra looks like my dad's 100 dollar alcatec tracfone. If they don't bring back vivid option, and make it vivid, im making the switch to the pro/max.
GreenBubbles4Life
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I was wondering what happened to my 2 comments about S24U screen quality yesterday! They were there one minute, and then a short while later, both of the OP's were gone 😂
Naters69
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
Yep, they delete them as soon as they get a little chat traction. I'll just keep spamming messages to people on the fence as to upgrade or not...Im super sick of reading messages that say, "oh man you guys are crazy, this is the best phone I've ever had. ". My 75 year old mother said the color looks terrible compared to my s22 Ultra. She saw it as soon as i showed her.
GreenBubbles4Life
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I ran across a "fix" (more like workaround) on TechOdyssey's YT page that gets the color really close to true Vivid (it's in the Dev options), but it shouldn't take a workaround, it should come as an option right out of the box. That way, people who prefer less saturation can pick Natural, and the rest of us can pick the Vivid that works like it always has, and everyone's happy. There is no logical reason for taking that option away, especially when you can opt in or out of one of this phone's key selling points (the AI stuff).
Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

So what is the "fix". How did you implement it?

David Conger
GreenBubbles4Life
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
(Disclaimer: Your results may vary.)

1. Go into the Developer Options (To enable: Settings -> About phone -> Software information -> Build number (keep tapping on it until it says "You are now a developer")
2. Scroll down to Contrast and select "High"
3. Go back to Display and make sure that "Eye comfort shield" and "Adaptive color tone" are both turned OFF.
4. Make sure that "Screen mode" = Vivid.

After following these steps and comparing the results to my S23U (which is already on Vivid), they are a much, much closer color match now, with some nuances (in some cases things on my S24U are actually more "vivid" than on my S23U, but some things are still slightly lighter in tone). And to make sure I wasn't just getting "placebo effect" (shout out to "Samsung Knight," lol), I cast my S24U screen to an AMOLED laptop that I knew had vivid colors, and it's still a closer match than it was before using the TechOdyssey workaround.
0 Likes