Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-09-2024 01:34 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,243 Replies
userQvgaoklMT1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
If vivid mode is not fixed I will return both S24 ultras I bought. And likely never buy another samsung android product again.

I did not sign up for dull colors.
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
Maybe you should have searched this site to see if there was an answer prior to flaming. You will be happy to know that if the leaks are correct, Samsung is going to put a "vividness slider" in the display settings.
Ric221
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
No VIVID Mode. Please leave, and switch to IOS. If you did any research you would know the camera was adjusted to give photos a more realistic look. Also would have discovered that they are possibly going to add a Slider to address this, as there has been a lot of whining and complaining about it.
userQvgaoklMT1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Returned
0 Likes
Aeskul
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I recently got a Samsung S24 Ultra, and I currently love it. However, there are some issues with the display. When looking at color gradients, there appears to be banding issues. Furthermore, when looking at darker colors (such as dark gray), the display takes on a grainy quality (it looks like there is a layer of unmoving static on top of the darker colors).

I reached out the Samsung customer support the other day, and after a 45 minute call I was told that the grainy display and banding issues were "intentional", but I could still be "transferred" to another department that could potentially help. Instead of being transferred, I was hung up on, and I wasn't able to get any assistance.

I do currently have the option to return the phone, but I really don't want to as the only issue is the display. Other than the display, the phone is perfect.

Brucyjay
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Kind of worries me about my preorder. I've read a lot of people on reddit have this issue too. Very common. Idk if it could be fixed with a software update or not.
Aeskul
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

the graininess and band issues, from what i can tell, are a hardware issue, and likely cannot be fixed with an update

im not an expert though, so i may be wrong

SeanSh
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I also have the phone same issues with Display and cameras are poor.
It's definitely part of the phone. People think it will be fixed with the next software update. It's not . Its intended to look more natural. I'm glad I didn't trade in my S22ULTRA yet and still have it with me. I'm returning the S24ULTRA in the morning.
Aeskul
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

the display that most people are complaining about that is supposed to be more "natural" is the color profile, and it more likely than not will be fixed

what im talking about is a hardware issue that, more likely than not, cannot be fixed with a software update

SeanSh
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Bro you talking about grainy screen. I have same thing and together with the vivid mode issue. I read well what you wrote. I wouldn't make a comment if I didn't understand