Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 02-10-2024 04:15 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! šŸ™‚

3,240 Replies
AV31
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Camera is hotrrible, display is horrible, I was in 14 day window and returned it, kept my old S21.
Not expected from this expensive phone to degrade quality when you upgrade your phone.
Abhaya71
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I don't know where you are getting your phone from but the screen is fantastic. It is not washed out. I compared to S23U side by side.

You can turn adaptive color tone off and go into advanced settings for vivid and adjust rgb. You can get the same vivid blue light cool image in both devices.

The default is set with adaptive color tone which changes the color balance based on your environment much like true tone on Apple devices. It is a more natural color tone and that is why people are saying it is washed out.
llmm
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

My issue is that it's even washing skin tones out- it's not just bright colors in apps/games/whatever. Everyone who has tan skin is showing on this screen as very pale/white. Changing to "vivid" from "natural" hardly does anything; there is very little difference. That's part of the frustration. If people want a more dulled natural look, that's fine. But the option to saturate colors, and in my opinion show actual natural colors like skin tone, isn't there anymore. I've pulled up media side by side on S22+/S24U where the older is showing truer colors.

ImACrazyGirl420
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I have the 23 Ultra. I compared it. The colors are definitely less vivid. I have tried all the settings. The colors are less vivid and in my personal opinion, I like a more vivid colored screen. I feel this is a downgrade from Samsung. 

Abhaya71
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Have you turned adaptive color tone off and checked again. There is a huge difference in color tone when adaptive color tone is turned off. Now you have the native display. And remember the anti reflective coating is absorbing some of the light intensity as a side effect of reducing glare.
0 Likes
Dobiwallah
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Maybe you have a different version? When I compare my S24 ultra with my S9 plus, I can see a big difference in vividness. No matter what adjustment I make on the S24 ultra. It is washed out.

0 Likes
msz1261
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
He mentions Vivid is the default but on my s24 ultra turning Vivid on and off does nothing and it's really like Vivid being off on the s23 ultra. My friend still has an s23 ultra and I was comparing and frankly there's no comparison, his screen looks better. I didn't even really notice it to people started complaining cuz I have my brightness down to halfway most of the time. But when you turn it up brighter you can really tell.
Sam56
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I have always used vivid mode and I noticed the difference the moment I turned on the s24 ultra. It was disappointing.
HRprofessional
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I have a bright blue coat and took a picture with my S24 and S22. The S24 makes the coat baby blue. It's not even the true color of the object I'm taking pictures of. Why change the camera to a false color? If I'm taking a picture of a sunset, I don't want it to be faded colors. I don't want it to be filtered, either. It should be the color it actually is. This is ridiculous. The selfie made my skin/lip color look super pale/bland even though I have blush/lipstick on. It's like a poor filter, and I don't use filters. I feel like my vision is poor every time I look at the screen.
Options
Galaxy S24
This and the very dim always on display are getting under my skin.
0 Likes