Original topic:

S24 Display Quality & AOD Missing Options

(Topic created: 04-04-2024 10:01 PM)
Locoblade
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi All

I've just got my S24+ today to upgrade my trusty but ageing S10+ having not strayed from Samsung for almost 10 years. Naturally I was hoping it would be an upgrade in all departments but although on the whole it is, there's several annoying and unexpected downgrades that are making me seriously question whether it's actually worth spending quite a bit of money to change.

Firstly, the screen although pin sharp is really washed out. Even in vivid mode the colours are dull and the blacks are significantly more grey than the S10 screen, and even look washed out when put alongside my wife's budget spec A52! I've played around with brightness and colour tone etc but I can't dial it out, and my cousin who's got an S24 Ultra said exactly the same when comparing it against the S22 it's replacing.

Then there's some bizarre features missing from OneUI 6.1, the ones I've noticed so far are specifically in the Always On Display settings.  I use AOD to display as a bedside clock,  with my S10 and also in OneUI 6.0 / Android 14 on the A52 you can rotate the AOD to landscape orientation and control the brightness, you could even do the latter from the AOD lock screen by tapping twice on the clock to access the brightness slider. In OneUI 6.1 unless I'm missing something it seems all that functionality is missing, the brightness of the AOD is linked to the main screen brightness setting which is far too bright for overnight use, and you can't set it to landscape mode which I'd prefer when on it's horizontal night stand next to the bed. Why this functionality would be omitted I have no idea, but it's really annoying! Please someone enlighten me to some hidden menu somewhere that fixes all these issues?! 🙂

3,244 Replies
Nani-Prasanth
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Do the samsung will fix the color washout issue on the samsung s24ultra ? When they will push the updates did any one facing the same issue ? 
GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24

They pushed the update a couple weeks ago. Make sure you have Adaptive color tone and Eye Comfort shield toggled off in Display settings then set the Screen mode to Vivid and then click advanced settings and set the vividness sider all the way to the right

1712121300805.jpg1712121300821.jpg1712121300844.jpg

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

Nani-Prasanth
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I have already changed as per the settings you showed. But no change, still it looks dull. I have compared my s22 ultra .
EdLemus
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Can confirm, this has been fixed with the new update.
jyi786
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Wow, I just wrote a very long post on how Samsung is listening on fixing the AOD on the S24..... and they erased it. I guess they are listening in the wrong way. 🙄
0 Likes
MRREEsE
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
There's no secret the aod isn't right. We got the s23 ultra update before the new phone which i don't mind but we gotta get this problem fixed. We all want the original galaxy options not a clone of another software. PROBLEMS CURRENTLY S24 ULTRA ONLY
1. NO BRIGHTNESS OPTION FOR AOD
2. CANNOT SET A DIFFERENT CLOCK FOR AOD, ONLY GIVES THE OPTION TO HAVE THE LOCK SCREEN CLOCK
3. NO COLOR OPTIONS FOR NOTIFICATION ICONS ON THE AOD
4. QUICKSTAR DOESN'T ALLOW ALL INDICATORS IN THE QUICK PANEL MAJOR BUG
5. QUICKSTAR DOESN'T ALLOW ALL OPTIONS FOR DATE AND CLOCK EXCLUDING SOME IF(SECONDS/ DATE/ AM,PM) ARE SET
PLEASE ADDRESS LIKE YOU ALWAYS DO
Captnbud
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Bring back AOD options. The brightness is too dim.
Options
Galaxy S24
Samsung, please listen to this and all the other complaints about the AOD. Bring it back to how it was.
WayOWestS
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra Android 14 One UI 6.1, 1TB Unlocked. OS/Software & patches up to date as of April 5, 2024.

You have at least two bugs in some areas of this phone that keep occurring:

1) The Always On Display occasionally isn't. That is, the Always On Display will spontaneously stop working (screen just goes black instead), and no amount effort or turning the Always On Display option OFF & ON & OFF & ON... will change that. A full reboot is required for it to start working again, for a while.

2) Your side button settings, if set to Power off menu, spontaneously stops working. Pressing the side button then does nothing. Well, *technically* I can press and long-hold the Side + Volume Down button to force a power cycle restart. Unlike the Always On Display bug which requires a reboot, this one can be "cured" by switching the side button setting from Power off menu to Wake Bixby then back to Power off menu -- this works for a "while" until it does it again.

I guess I can understand this since this is the first Samsung Phone you've ever built with the first version of Android OS and first version of One UI, etc...

Davecon11
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

# 2 is a bug for sure. Mine does it all the time......

David Conger
0 Likes