Original topic:

S24 Ultra Camera Quality Feedback

(Topic created: 02-02-2024 04:54 PM)
efrain192
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
As many of us are experiencing these camera issues where the post processing ruins images taken by making them grainy or too saturated. I found temporarily that using the camera in safe mode and airplane mode gave me way better results when using the camera . Hopefully they fix this soon

UPDATE
Turns out my camera issue is a hardware issue. I spoke to representative and there are no updates coming for the camera, only for the screen issues. I will return mine an get a new device. Seems I got a early model that was part of a bad batch. 

Update: got my replacement device today NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. now this is what the s24 ultra is supposed to be. WOW I can't believe the difference. The screen for sure is way brighter and more colorful and the camera is amazing and no issues with post processing ruining images. If anything it just makes them way better. I can't believe what a difference there is between the devices 
488 Replies
Alexander250000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Unfortunately this trick didn't work for my s24 ultrašŸ˜• The camera quality is pretty bad... I came from the S21 ultra  and the quality went down. The only lens thats good for me right now is the 5x at 12mp that's actually decent but the others are horribly noisy and grainy.  I hope they fix this soon... but I will say the battery is amazing and Strang at the same time. After a 15 hour day on the lite side of regular use I still had 69 % left but as I use it for low to medium intensity stuff it's falling surprisingly fast. Hopefully just another software thing.

Cerberus64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I completely agree. I came from the same device (S21Ultra) and noticed the quality reductions immediately. To add to this, the Raw mode is writing compressed RAW files, so there are artifacts when you open them in Lightroom. I really hope the techs are seeing all of these posts and are able to fix the issues! I only have a few days left to return my device. 

Cerberus64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

I will also add that I found a semi working build of GCam and the raw files written from it are not compressed and laden with artifacts. 

Additionally there is no visual difference between 50mp raw and 12mp  raw when using the Samsung camera. With 50mp raw you get to zoom in further to see the compression artifacts in higher detail!.

It feels like they are simply uprezzing the compressed, lossy  12 mp image and stuffing it into the raw container.

Alexander250000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Whose build of GCam did you find? I haven't looked too much for my 24 ultra yet. After switching to Samsung phones a few years ago I had much more trouble finding GCam ports that were fully functional and good quality. For some reason they were much more prevalent on my old LG phones. Maybe GCam doesn't do well with high megapixel count? I have heard some people suggest that for the newer Pixel phones.

0 Likes
Cerberus64
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

The compression is not the issue, you can lossy compress dng files with without any visual degradations. ExpertRAW had this issues long before also with the "uncompressed" setting.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-discussions/samsung-s24u-expertraw-looks-like-8bit-jpg/td-...

0 Likes
efrain192
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Look at my updated thread
0 Likes
user1J6Iwv2r7r
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Me too I bought my s24ultra after using s22ultra for a while. Honestly the camera quality of s24ultra is worse than s10+.
0 Likes
SeanSh
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Poor camera performance and poor screen colors. I'm returning the S24ULTRA and staying with my S22ULTRA.