Original topic:

S24 Ultra Camera Quality Feedback

(Topic created: 02-02-2024 04:54 PM)
efrain192
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
As many of us are experiencing these camera issues where the post processing ruins images taken by making them grainy or too saturated. I found temporarily that using the camera in safe mode and airplane mode gave me way better results when using the camera . Hopefully they fix this soon

UPDATE
Turns out my camera issue is a hardware issue. I spoke to representative and there are no updates coming for the camera, only for the screen issues. I will return mine an get a new device. Seems I got a early model that was part of a bad batch. 

Update: got my replacement device today NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. now this is what the s24 ultra is supposed to be. WOW I can't believe the difference. The screen for sure is way brighter and more colorful and the camera is amazing and no issues with post processing ruining images. If anything it just makes them way better. I can't believe what a difference there is between the devices 
485 Replies
Schykle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Well, aside from feeling superior when holding an Android or any phone (which is an absolutely unhinged and insane way to feel), there are definitely a few things that have changed and some of it helps, some of it hinders. ā€“ The notion that something has changed and the S24 now doesn't capture true colors vs previous generations is somewhat hilarious because these phones are notorious for always being either overexposed or oversaturated. This has been the case for many years, and if you think your S21 was capturing "true colors", then you've been living in a vacuum and not actually seen photos from any other phone on the market.

A few things to note:

1) The 200MP sensor which bins down to 12MP can be beneficial in many scenarios, but does come with the downside of increased processing time and power needed, which can cause issues. The phone also tends to overexpose or oversaturate in many scenarios which is nothing new but definitely not helped by the new sensor, struggling with accuracy especially in naturally high contrast scenarios. ā€“ The issue here, more than anything... is that the sensor itself is not all that large and much of what's being done is just post. Samsung played a numbers game instead of a results game.

2) As for the 10x... the 5x with a larger 50MP sensor is better. Objectively, without question. There are far fewer instances in which a 10x is going to be useful to almost anyone, meanwhile a good 5x is far more likely to be of use *AND* can be cut in to still get high quality digital 10x. ā€“ There's a reason Pixel uses a 5x, why iPhone now uses a 5x, and why Samsung now does, too. The jump between the relatively dinky 3x and an optical 10x is WAY too big and causes tons of quality dropoff between 3-10 which is a massive range that is more likely to be used by most people than anything at 10x+.

3) As for the "dull screen", I have no idea what you're on about. The S24 Ultra looks properly balanced and calibrated, which the same could not be said for previous generations where the display was so extremely oversaturated that you couldn't actually trust whether or not what you made on your phone would even look good anywhere else (and it usually didn't.) ā€“ The S24 Ultra's "vivid" mode actually looks the way it should, and natural is more toned down.

This was 10x digital *FROM A MOVING CAR*
20240207_175546.jpeg

This is 10x digital.20240208_095020.jpeg

This is from the main camera (had to scale it down since there's a file size limit of 5MB and it only accepts JPG)

20240208_140524 (2).jpeg

milen
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I swear some models are just **bleep** bc I can't seem to get pictures as clearly as you can.
0 Likes
Schykle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Maybe so. I haven't had any serious issues but I've also heard that there are updates on the way that should help.
Tazs2024
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
Sorry to say but pictures not great
0 Likes
Schykle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Well, they're compressed to fit on the site, but these are just basic point and shoot photos and they turned out just fine. Like in any of these instances, an iPhone wouldn't really do any better. Especially at 10x which the first two are.
0 Likes
Ric221
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I think it takes great pictures
Naters69
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
Yeah, terrible photos although I'm viewing them through an s24u so who's knows maybe they are good. Unfortunately, I sent my perfectly fine s22u in for trade-in. I, like you, am stuck with this piece of **** phone because my return period is over. Can't believe I spent hard earned money on this phone. 2 weeks and no fix yet! Sad...I'm 100% done with Samsung now. Between my TV remote that turns channels if a slight breeze blows on it, to this trashy screen and pathetic camera. Overpriced Garbage
Tazs2024
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I've had iphone since day one and finally bought the new Samsung and very, very disappointed on the c***** Washed out camera. Shame on Samsung for charging us a lot of money for this c*** I'm livid.
0 Likes
JG94
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S24
**bleep** the camera on the s24u sucksšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ Glad I kept my s23u
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
There are camera fixes coming in the February Update.