Original topic:

S24 Ultra not bright

(Topic created: 02-06-2024 11:44 AM)
the_derek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I can't confirm if my display is actually defective. I know everyone is complaining about colour issues with their S24 Ultra, but my biggest complaint is how "not bright" my screen is. First time I used it outdoors I noticed it, coming from an S23U. I never used any Samsung phone in Vibrant mode, so the colours look fine to me.
I've tried Natural and Vibrant modes, Adaptive brightness vs manual brightness both with and without Extra Bright.
A day or two after using my S24U I took pictures next to a S21 we have, both with same brightness & colour settings. Pictures never do it justice but my S21 is brighter than my new S24U. It shouldn't be close to a competition as the S21 is advertised with a peak brightness of 1,300 nits and the S24 series is advertised to have 2,600 nits.

The cover picture is my GW6 44mm with 2,000 nits next to my S24U with 2,600 🤦‍:male_sign:

13 Replies
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

I went from a S22U to a S24U and I'll agree with you that it seems a little "dimmer." Though, I'm not sure how much is a brightness issue versus a brilliance issue. So far, whatever actual difference there is, it's not really an issue for me and how/where I use my phone. Time will tell, I guess.

neilth
Sun
Options
Galaxy S24
My S24U is very bright, even in direct sunlight. Do you have adaptive brightness turned on in the display settings?
0 Likes
the_derek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes
0 Likes
bondo008
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
It is dimmer. Hopefully it can get fixed because it supposedly hits 2600nits. Also noticed white highlights in hdr content don't come close to my old 1500nit phone.
the_derek
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, I mentioned that. Do you have anything important to add?
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24

S23U (now my backup phone) vs S24U

After many comparisons using different settings...

The S23U is overall brighter than the S24U. Sometimes way brighter.

userQu1JcMmaCO
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

I noticed my S24 Ultra screen being dimmer compared to my wife's S24 Ultra. Then days later I got the green and white lines permanently showing on my screen. Take it to a repair center and do a warranty repair. Something is certainly not right. Just know you will have to do a factory reset to show them it isn't a software issue. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

t5jabroni
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24
I'm still on the fence on whether to keep my S24 ultra. I'm hoping they eventually address the color issue but my bigger concern is the brightness. I noticed when I was setting up my apps. The phone appeared to dim slightly. I checked my brightness and it was set on full with extra brightness on and all the adaptive features (color tone and brightness turned off). I slid the brightness scale back and forth but it did not get very bright. I restarted the phone and it was bright again. After booting up it dimmed again after a few. I then turned it off let it rest and then turned it back on. This time it seemed to stay bright. Today it started to do the same thing. After playing with the controls and turning it off and back on it seems to be bright again. I also notice that when I start to pull up the samsung pay gesture it starts to dim. When I slide it back down before fully opening the pay app it starts to brighten again. I think at one point it had stayed dim. Anyone else having random dimming issues?
geek1
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

It sounds like you're experiencing some inconsistent brightness behavior on your Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra. This could be related to various factors, including software glitches or settings. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. **Adaptive Brightness:**
Ensure that the Adaptive Brightness feature is turned off. This feature automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on ambient lighting conditions, and it may lead to unexpected brightness changes.

- Go to Settings > Display > Adaptive brightness, and make sure it's turned off.

2. **Power Saving Mode:**
Check if the device is in Power Saving Mode. This mode can limit the screen brightness to conserve battery life.

- Go to Settings > Battery and device care > Battery > Power mode, and make sure it's set to "Optimized" or "High performance."

3. **Screen Timeout:**
Verify the screen timeout settings. A short screen timeout may cause the screen to dim quickly.

- Go to Settings > Display > Screen timeout, and set it to a longer duration.

4. **Developer Options:**
If you have enabled Developer Options, check if any settings related to screen brightness or performance are affecting the display.

- Go to Settings > Developer options (if enabled) and review the settings.

5. **Check for Updates:**
Ensure that your device's software is up to date. Manufacturers often release software updates that include bug fixes and improvements.

- Go to Settings > Software update > Download and install.

6. **Safe Mode:**
Boot your phone into Safe Mode to see if a third-party app is causing the issue. In Safe Mode, only pre-installed system apps are active.

- Restart your device and hold the Volume Down button until the device finishes restarting.
- Check if the issue persists in Safe Mode.

7. **Factory Reset (Advanced Step):**
If none of the above steps resolves the problem, you may consider a factory reset as a last resort. Remember to back up your data before performing a factory reset, as it will erase all data on your device.

- Go to Settings > General Management > Reset > Factory data reset.

0 Likes