Original topic:

Was the Uncompressed RAW feature been removed?

(Topic created: 02-23-2024 07:33 AM)
UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Can someone clarify why the Samsung S20 series (including S24U) stopped generating uncompressed RAW files sometime in Q1 2023?

In Pro mode, we now have JPEG compression in a DNG container. It is a 12-bit JPEG.

Expert RAW has the same JPEG compression (on 16 bits, probably because of HDR) for S22U and S23U, while on S24U it shows as "Unknown (52546)" compression. According to an article I found on Samsung India, it is said that this is a new JPEG XL compression.

Why not offer the option to get again (as we had before Q1 2023) truly uncompressed mosaiced RAW, which works with the Lightroom Denoise AI algorithm, instead of the current demosaiced compressed Linear RAW, which doesn't.

93 Replies
UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Interesting! Is the 3rd party MotionCam Pro?
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

This email seems to be abandoned. 

0 Likes
sebas5287
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S24
The email I mentioned is for Expert Raw. How do you know if it is abandoned?
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Because I got a mail back that said the recipient does not exist. šŸ¤·

0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

That update did not fix anything, stock app raw support is a scam.

UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
It fixed the main camera API for 3rd party apps. I can now use GCam to get uncompressed or lossless compressed RAW. MotionCam Pro is also working with the main camera now.
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Still the low resolution limit still applies.

UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Yes, use vertical shots and combine them in a panorama. High res is anyway mainly for landscapes/cityscapes which are static subjects.
0 Likes
rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

No it's not, it's also for portraits and sport shots. Samsung needs to fix their basics. More details are always good.

We are not really talking very highres here, the usable output is about 20-25MP, still much better than only 12MP.

UltimaGaina
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
I agree that samsung needs to fix their basics. For me fixing the API was very important. I don't need large prints for portraits and I don't do sports, let alone printing sport shots.
0 Likes