JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Why is Google Messages Creating Group Chats for MMS?

(Topic created: 01-26-2024 05:46 PM)
BlackBullJutsu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Hey y'all,

So I've just activated and transferred over everything from my S22 and for some terrible reason, Google Messages has split every single text thread I had into separate strings. One will be the original thread, but they ripped out every text from non-RCS numbers AND images and put them into a separate group chat with yourself and that number they'd come from.

How can this be fixed? It's extremely frustrating.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
KP_454
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. Nothing is working to fix.

Update: I ended up force stopping, clearing the cache and resetting the app. That didn't work. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. It appears the issue is now resolved.

View solution in context

13 Replies
losiram
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I noticed this too! But I just ended up switching back to samsung messages
0 Likes
Solution
KP_454
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
Same here. Nothing is working to fix.

Update: I ended up force stopping, clearing the cache and resetting the app. That didn't work. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. It appears the issue is now resolved.
userAOeLJdf1mD
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

This didn't work for me. But its only happening with one group text and not all of them. It's essentially separated all of the messages with images from the others. Then the regular text group shows me as 2 separate  individuals.

0 Likes
Tasha84
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
I just got the S24 Ultra yesterday. I'm using the Google Message app. I have a group message thread with our managers at work when a message was sent it came to all of us but when I responded it said I created a new group and it only had some of us in it. Then someone else responded and it only had a few people in it. Why is it eliminating people and creating new groups? It wasn't like that in my Samsung messaging app. I haven't found any options in settings to change anything.
PghLei
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
I had an issue with Google messaging too . I called T-Sprint(T-Mobile) lol, and the tech was extremely helpful with helping me (I never used Google messaging before). So try calling your carrier.
0 Likes
Tasha84
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
So there's nothing in settings to fix? It's a carrier issue?
0 Likes
Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24
The person is dropping out the RCS group. When you send something it'll make a new chat.
0 Likes
Tasha84
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Can I just turn RCS off till it's a universal thing? I think everyone in my group has an iPhone except me
Ray_Ginald
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
@Tasha84, this seems to be a bug that needs an update, which, hopefully, will be patched by Google. Google's Messages app is known for all kinds of glitches. For now, switching to Samsung's own messages app or a third party app might be the way to go, although the former doesn't have all the plethora of features Google's does, but it's still RCS-capable, so long as your network carrier supports it. You can also try resetting your network settings via Settings to see if that helps or contacting your carrier like someone suggested. If you do choose to go with Samsung's messages, make sure Group messaging is on by clicking the 3 vertical dots beside the search icon, then click on Settings, click on More Settings, click on Multimedia messages and then toggle Group conversation on.