cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Storage Taken Up By "Other"

So I've had this issue for several months, and I keep somehow avoiding having to fully address it, but at this point I need a solution. I have 128GB storage on my Galaxy S9+, where only 32.66GB is taken up by photos, videos, installation files, documents, audio, etc. The other 95.34GB are entirely taken up by something called "other". I have no idea what it is, and My Files doesnt tell me what it is. At this point, I cannot update my phone, take photos, download any apps, or use any normal functions. A few months back it got to the point where I was unable to use any apps such as Twitter, or Messages. I clean my phone with the Device Care feature often, however it doesnt do much. I've checked my apps to see what the largest thing is taking up space, and it's my Gallery with only 29.17 GB. Also, every time I go in and delete videos, pictures, apps, etc, the amount of storage I free up is immediately replaced by "other". A few months back I cleared up 10GB of storage from deleting things, but when i checked my storage the "other" had gained 10GB. This is also not just photos being kept in the trash for 2 weeks after, because I have gone and cleared out my trash many times. I do not want to use an SD card or simply upload all my photos to the cloud then delete them because they arent even taking up half my storage. I do not know if this is a virus, but I have seen that many other customers with the Galaxy S9 have the exact same problems. If you could please help me figure out what this "other" is and how to remove it, I would really appreciate itScreenshot_20200604-111938_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200604-110116_My Files.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Storage Taken Up By "Other"

Can you please go to settings > device care > storage > tap on the 3 dots in the top right hand corner > tap on storage settings and provide me with a screenshot?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

There doesnt appear to be an option for storage settings via normal storage, however there is one for My Files. I've provided a screenshot of bothScreenshot_20200605-120310_Device care.jpg

Screenshot_20200605-120532_My Files.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Are you running Android 9 or 10 on your device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Just checked, my phone is running version 10

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend trying to wipe the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Alright I just wiped the cache partition on my phone, however I dont think much changed unfortunately. Screenshot_20200605-171833_My Files.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I would recommend trying to force stop and clear the cache and data for the Samsung Members app. Go to settings > apps > tap on Samsung Members > tap on force stop > tap on storage and clear the cache and data

Highlighted
Asteroid

tried clearing the data and cache for samsung members

Screenshot_20200609-192937_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20200609-193000_My Files.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

After performing these troubleshooting steps if you are still experiencing these symptoms, I would recommend performing a factory reset on the device after backing up all data that you would want. After performing a factory reset will have the phone reset its self to factory settings as if it was being taken out of the box again. You would need to set up the phone again and then restore your data that was backed up. You can see info on how to backup and restore your info using this link. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00084163/#:~:text=Open%20Settings%2C%20and%20then%20tap...

Once your information is backed up you can follow these steps to factory reset your device. 

From Settings, search for and select Factory data reset.

Next, tap Factory data reset again, and then review the information. When you're ready, swipe to and tap Reset.

If you have a security lock set on the phone, you will be asked to enter the credentials. To delete all information and downloaded apps, tap Delete all.

Delete all in Factory data reset menu

Your phone will reset; when it turns back on, it will start from the initial setup screen.