Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HighFlight1989
Cosmic Ray

Re: Unlocked phones and WiFi calling capabilities

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userDcTWtPzUhhwrote:

Can someone tell me......if I buy an unlocked S9+, will it have WiFi calling capabilities with the carrier I bring it to?

I ended up going with an Att configured S9+phone because the Samsung rep at att said I would not get wifi calling, HD voice or visual voice-mail  with a regular unlocked phone. Confirmed that with Samsung USA as well. 

userZOeibRQPBM
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Metropcs wifi calling works on s9+ blue I got mine today and called in to activate got a prompt for wifi calling Hope's this helps.

userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This does help, thanks! Did you buy the unlocked version directly from samsung or a tmobile version or?

Highlighted
userZOeibRQPBM
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unlocked from samsung

userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is fantastic news. Ty!

useroRv5VN9RAF
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an unlocked s9 phone bought from Samsung and my carrier is tmobile...I don't even have the feature of turning on wifi. Regret buying this phone cause I'm an international traveler. Any ideas? 

Kevin McMurtrie
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

WiFi Calling works but Samsung's menus are confusing.  I think it's actually in the Settings of the Phone app.  If it's not there, call 611 and ask them to provision your phone.  T-Mo pushes a configuration to your phone when you put the SIM in but you might have missed it.

There's no guarantee it will work on equipment provided by an ISP.  The router must handle UDP correctly and the WiFi access point can't have bugs going in and out of power save mode.  Comcast and AT&T modems both have buggy firewalls that must be turned off.  I just got rid of a Linksys E4200 Acces Point that had 100 to 4000ms latency glitches.

userEuk5F8KajK
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On Sprint, on an unlocked GS9+, I finally found WiFI calling at the very bottom of the dialer settings.

It was not a searchable setting in the settings menu.

I.am.not sure why...

userDcTWtPzUhh
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have wifi calling on unlocked S9+ with tmobile.

BLU-BERRY-PIE
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On my unlocked S9+ there is a Wifi Calling option in the Phone settings toward the bottom.

This looks like an option on the phone interface rather than being carrier specific  so, i believe regardless of who your carrier is, it should be there.