Original topic:

Backup of Watch Data while wearing the watch

(Topic created: yesterday)
QueenRen
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
I sleep with my Watch Ultra (for sleep tracking and alarms), so how am I supposed to back up my Watch data if i can't force a manual backup anymore? Does anyone have any suggestions? I charge my phone every night. Thank you. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

The watch is supposed to auto backup every night to your phone (and the cloud if you have the slider on).  In order for auto backup to take place, both the phone and the watch need to have more than 30% battery life and be connected to each other.  Needless to say, the phone needs to be on.  If you are one of those that turn your phone off for charging (?!), then your watch won't be backed up.

If you are meeting all the requirements and your watch is still not backing up, there may be something jamming it up.  You may have to clear the cache partition on both devices, or (horrors), factory reset one or both.  I believe (but I wouldn't swear to it) that the watch creates a new backup as you reset it. How often do you optimize your phone? \

It could also be one of those little glitches I'm hearing about with the watch ultra.

0 Likes
QueenRen
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Hmm, for some unknown reason, my Watch was actually backed up last night while I was asleep (and wearing the watch). I'm not sure why. The only thing I did was updated to 6.1.1.
0 Likes
cwinkler
Comet
Options
Galaxy Watch

That is now how the watches do their backups. In the wee hours of the morning. Assuming you meet the conditions required for backing up. 

Backups will occur when:

• It's been at least 24 hours since the last backup
  • Your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
  • Your phone has over 30% battery
  • Your watch has over 15% battery
  • Both screens are off
CWinkler
Galaxy S24 Ultra, Active4
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch

The new update may have cleared out whatever was blocking the update mechanism, or all the conditions for backup were met. Probably a combination of both.