JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy 5 watch causes Alienware laptop screen to blank while typing

(Topic created: Wednesday)
users7hVYLi9iy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

My Alien laptop kept blacking out and going to the lock  screen while I was typing. Its been an intermittent problem, and the last two days I could not type more than a couple of letters at a time without it blanking and then waking the machine back up. Then I noticed it sometimes blanked even before I hit a key. Then I noticed it was only my right hand. So I took my Samsung Galaxy 5 watch off and the problem has gone away. But if I put it back on, it immediately starts again.
I turned off BT, WiFi, and NFC on the watch, but if I wear the watch still blanks the screen if I start to type.
1. What else would be doing that?
2. Is there a fix other than removing the watch while typing?
My Garmin Approach S70 smart watch is not affecting it.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
users7hVYLi9iy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yes, I have the magnetic band but despite numerous searches on laptop sites (no clue the watch had anything to do with it) nothing had turned up. I am typing now with the magnetic atop the wrist and it seems to be working fine.
Just tried returning to normal wear and it immediately blanked the screen! Mystery solved!

Great call. Thanks.

Mike

View solution in context

3 Replies
GaryB82
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch
Are you using the magnetic watch band I've heard that was causing the issue a few months ago

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@users7hVYLi9iy I think @GaryB82 is on the right track. It sounds like the magnet in the watch band is causing your laptop to believe that the laptop lid is closed.

Solution
users7hVYLi9iy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yes, I have the magnetic band but despite numerous searches on laptop sites (no clue the watch had anything to do with it) nothing had turned up. I am typing now with the magnetic atop the wrist and it seems to be working fine.
Just tried returning to normal wear and it immediately blanked the screen! Mystery solved!

Great call. Thanks.

Mike