Original topic:

Galaxy Watch 7 - screen keeps turning on randomly

(Topic created: 07-24-2024 12:18 AM)
Spook3r
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi, 

I have the following problem with my Galaxy Watch 7 (44, LTE variant). I have the wrist tilt screen wake up gesture disabled and also the notification screen activation disabled. So the display should only activate when I press the button or touch the screen. However, I notice that this actually is not the case and I observe that the screen often activates randomly on its own throughout the day. This happens with both AoD off and AoD on (where in this case it transitions from the AoD screen to the full active screen). I found no obvious reason, pattern or watch position why/where this should happen and as you may imagine, it is a drain of the battery. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Best Regards 

Jan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Spook3r
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello, 

I am not using a 3rd party watch face. Only those that are natively available in the Wearable app. Having said that, I tried different kinds of those and it had no effect on the behavior. I am also not using any screen cover. Thanks for suggesting the screen brightness settings, I'll try that.

In the meantime, I might have found the smoking gun. I tried to switch the cellular settings from automatic to always off and I noticed that the random screen activations have stopped. Then I switched back to automatic and saw that they no longer occur even with this default setting. Not sure about the connection of this setting with screen behavior but it appears that toggling it to a different mode corrected some kind of a glitch in my system. Any ideas?

I'll keep monitoring if this "fix" is of a permanent nature.

Best Regards,

Jan

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Michael Shane
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch
I can't speak to your entire issue but do have a question/comment. With AoD on, are you sure that your watch is transitioning to the full active screen on its own? I have AoD on (uses less than 2% battery per hour in my 44mm model in limited testing), and the screen is very light sensitive. When a brighter light source hits the face of my watch, it brightens considerably even though the AoD screen is still on. It almost looks like the full screen has been activated. As soon as I move my watch to a darker area, the screen dims again. I personally find this very useful, though it obviously increases the battery drain a little.
Spook3r
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi Michael,

Thanks for looking into this. I think that it is transitioning to the full active screen because in the AoD mode, the second hand on the watchface is not displayed (only the hour and minute is shown). It is only shown in the full active mode. But I notice that the second hand is actually displayed in many occasions when I randomly check the watch when they should be in AoD. 

Jan

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello, thanks for reaching out. Just wanting to clarify, are you using a third party watch face? If so, have you tried a different watch face to see if this behavior continues? Also, have you checked to see if adaptive brightness is on? If so, turn it off, and also see if you are using a protective screen cover, as that could be tripping it off. 

0 Likes
Solution
Spook3r
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello, 

I am not using a 3rd party watch face. Only those that are natively available in the Wearable app. Having said that, I tried different kinds of those and it had no effect on the behavior. I am also not using any screen cover. Thanks for suggesting the screen brightness settings, I'll try that.

In the meantime, I might have found the smoking gun. I tried to switch the cellular settings from automatic to always off and I noticed that the random screen activations have stopped. Then I switched back to automatic and saw that they no longer occur even with this default setting. Not sure about the connection of this setting with screen behavior but it appears that toggling it to a different mode corrected some kind of a glitch in my system. Any ideas?

I'll keep monitoring if this "fix" is of a permanent nature.

Best Regards,

Jan

0 Likes
Spook3r
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello,

So after a few weeks, I haven't encountered the issue anymore. I also received the first update and the battery life improved significantly. So I think that this can be treated as a random glitch - maybe others can try the same approach if they encounter similar issue.

Best Regards 

Jan

0 Likes
djBraveDave
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

I'm jumping in on this thread because I have the same issue.

The screen turns on randomly even when I'm not moving or facing the watch in any particular direction or touching it (aside from it being strapped to my wrist). I tried all possible settings to prevent the screen from waking up unintentionally. Nothing does it.

Always on Display is off.

Battery saving is on.

Adaptive Brightness is on.

Raise wrist to wake is off.

Touch screen to wake is off.

Screen timeout is 10 seconds.

Watchface is native. Changing watch face doesn't help.

So with all these settings, there should be no reason why the watch screen turns on by itself.

Active background apps are:

• Health Platform
  • Samsung Health
  • Google Assistant

Writing this gave me an idea. I'll try to disable Google Assistant to see if that's the problem. Who knows. I'll keep you updated.

If that doesn't work I'll try to disable the other background apps one by one and see if the problem persists.

0 Likes