Original topic:

Samsung Health not registering floors

(Topic created: Friday)
Tiny77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I've noticed that the tracking of floors or flights of stairs is very hit or miss. I'm up and down from the basement at least five times a day and rarely does Samsung Health show that I've done any. I have a Galaxy watch 6 classic and this should be something the latest tech should be able track accurately. Had anyone else noticed this as well? Does anyone have any tips. I do swing my arms going up the steps in the hopes it recognizes that I'm climbing up the steps. 
3 Replies
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch

Yeah, flights of steps are really hard for S-health to get right.  I tested the altimeter, so that's not the problem. Sometimes, I think it thinks we are in an elevator, and I think it's because we do have a tendency not to move our arms when we climb steps the way we do when walking.  I think the phone in pocket may do a better job of counting flights. When wearing the watch, I am certain it doesn't even count the steps, let alone flights, since it doesn't "see" the arm movement. That's just my theory, though.  I do notice that flights are included when I've had my phone with me (not in my hand), in my fanny pack or pocket. I did this just to test my theory.

Tiny77
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch
I'm stuck. I've tried going up and down with my phone but I'll try holding it in my hand. Then, I'll try leaving it in my pocket. I hope they get this nailed down soon. It's a nice metric to track if you have a lifestyle that requires many trips between floors.
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy Watch

As I said, I know for a fact (and Samsung will even state the same) that the watch does not really count steps by leg movement (it's not on the leg now, is it), it goes by arm movement.  So, if you are walking with a shopping cart, baby stroller or just carrying heavy stuff that prevents your arm from swinging freely, your steps are not being counted *by the watch*.  The phone does it better, because it goes by a combination of body movement, GPS, altimeter, etc. (why the watch can't do the same, since it has GPS and altimeter, I can't say).  The phone data and the watch data combine in the Samsung Health app for a slightly more accurate picture, but if you are usually running around without the phone on your person, some data will be missing from the watch, most notably flights of stairs. As it has ever been -- maybe someday they will improve the watch for that.