Original topic:

Settings for hiking trip with Galaxy watch 3 and S20 for best battery quality

(Topic created: 09-28-2021 12:40 AM)
CaroD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hello. 

I am doing some sort of "el camino" trip, walking all day for 5 days with my GW3 connected to my Samsung Galaxy S20.

If anyone has done these kind of trips, what settings do you recommend on the watch for a good tracking yet good battery life?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@CaroD It has been a few years since my last 12 day backpacking trip. From my experience using a dedicated GPS unit I will tell you that if you try to scrimp on battery you will end up with gaps in your location information. I took multiple sets of batteries to feed the GPS as needed. 

If you are hiking in an area with weak or no cellular coverage, I would turn the S20 off. If you need a continual connection to the GW3, I would put the S20 in  airplane mode and then enable Bluetooth. Turn on cellular only when you need to. 

With the GW3 doing full time location tracking, I would expect the battery to drain well short of a day. I would take a good size backup battery with me. A 10000 mAh can charge the GW3 almost 30 times. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@CaroD It has been a few years since my last 12 day backpacking trip. From my experience using a dedicated GPS unit I will tell you that if you try to scrimp on battery you will end up with gaps in your location information. I took multiple sets of batteries to feed the GPS as needed. 

If you are hiking in an area with weak or no cellular coverage, I would turn the S20 off. If you need a continual connection to the GW3, I would put the S20 in  airplane mode and then enable Bluetooth. Turn on cellular only when you need to. 

With the GW3 doing full time location tracking, I would expect the battery to drain well short of a day. I would take a good size backup battery with me. A 10000 mAh can charge the GW3 almost 30 times. 

CaroD
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thanks @LongHiker  I followed some of your tips and the battery lasted sooo long!