Original topic:

Watch 4 - HRM frustration. An I doing something wrong

(Topic created: 02-12-2022 09:09 AM)
Martyn666
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

Hi!

I have a new Galaxy Watch 4 and I'm confused with HRM tracking.  If I'm mid indoor cycle training and select measure manually, I'm impressed that it reads within a couple of beats of my chest strap.

However, when I change to continuously monitor it stays at the same or drops to near resting; regardless of my effort.

Outside of any workout, it pretty much just stays a single number and rarely changes.  I was hoping to use it for some outdoor runs, but it is pretty hopeless measuring my HRM.  

Am I doing something wrong?  It's tight to my wrist and I've looked to see if there is any plastic film over the underside.  Weird it's accurate when I select manual.

Thanks for any advice!

2 Replies
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
My impression is that setting the heart monitor to continuously track your heart rate is meant to give the user an average heart rate range in an office or relaxed environment over time, throwing out high and low readings that may be recorded as inaccurate due to arm and hand movements. You should use the Running activities feature to accurately track your heart rate during your outdoor runs. You should also use the Stationary Bike activities feature when doing your indoor cycle training. The Watch4 was specifically designed to work with the Samsung Health app and its features. Simply setting the watch to continuous or manual during physical activities can result in inaccurate results.
Martyn666
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Watch

that's interesting and many thanks.  I'll give it a go tomorrow - probably indoor treadmill, but I'll set to the correct activity.