JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Assistant cannot be used when Flip is closed

(Topic created: 11-26-2023 05:57 PM)
QuantamNick
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

After I got the new Android update on my Galaxy Flip, I tried using Google Assistant to text my mother while it was closed. It was then that I realized that I couldn't, likely due to some new security features that came with the Android update. Samsung, please fix this. I know Google Assistant doesn't have anything to do with Samsung, however, you guys should be able to work with Google to fix things like this a little better. It would make for a more enjoyable phone experience.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LC1947
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

My son finally figured out how to make the outer screen work with google assistant again. I have the Flip 5. I don't know if this works on other models.

1. Go to Google app.

2. Hold Google app until the menu comes up.

3. Tap the "i" in the upper right corner

4. Tap the 3 dots.

5. Uninstall the latest Google update.

6. Go to Google Assistant.

7. Enable Hey Google and Google Voice.

8. Enable Assistant on Lock Screen.

Unless Google fixes this, you will probably need to do this every time you update the phone.

View solution in context

14 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Being able to send texts from a locked device is a colossal security and safety risk.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Definitely agree 👍
0 Likes
PMitsa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

After the latest update, mine will not even make calls, send texts etc when the phone is closed AND unlocked. It just opens an assistant box saying to flip open to continue.

Z5User
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
The Google Assistant has stopped responding on cover screen since the last update. 
Tidda
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Yes! I have been trying to find a fix. It's so annoying. I use it so much 

PMitsa
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Needs to be fixed. When driving I can't even make a call without physically touching and opening the phone. Even when closed and unlocked it still does not work.

user5nUo9YenHX
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Same for me google assistant doesn't work until I flip open the phone,  there is a glitch!

0 Likes
MiguelCesar
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip

Same after update in my flip 4

0 Likes
Slpsht19
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Z Flip
Mine as well! So frustrating