JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Q990C Atmos Channel mixing questions

(Topic created: 06-25-2024 07:41 AM)
jwn1
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Just installed the Q990C soundbar to my QN85B QLED TV. I started to use the dolby-test-tones_7_1_4.mp4 file to calibrate my system.  I am playing this file through a USB flash drive attached  to my TV. I noticed that the Atmos channels are heavily mixed on the Q990C soundbar. This mixing occurs in standard and adaptive mode and with or without Q Symphony. When I talk about right and left speakers, please assume the corresponding right and left sides are used correctly.

I wanted to know if this is normal or do I have a setting wrong.

1. Front R and L: Front speakers and front height speakers are used

2. Center: Just the front center speaker

3. Sub: just the sub

4. Wide R and L: front sides and the rear sides are used.  I am pretty sure that the front diagonals are not being used here.

5. Rear R and L: front sides and the rear front and side are used
  6. Front Height R and L: Front Height and Rear Height speakers are used

7. Rear Height R and L: Front Height and Rear Height speakers are used

So I get #4, its mixed to create the wide channel although i would think the diagonal front wide speaker should be used instead.   But I find #1, #4, #5, #6 and #7 to be odd.   Also I have never heard the diagonal (wide) front speakers being used in this test track.

Thanks for any help

1 Reply
Solution
jwn1
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

Update:   A person on reddit suggested that i hold the down button on the remote until the system updates the satellites and checks all the speakers.   Not a fw update but it somehow updates the settings on the speakers?    The behavior has now changed quite a bit.

standard mode - front wide now being used but not any sides.

1. Front: no longer uses front top.  just the front speaker

2. Side surround: Uses Front wide and Rear Front.  Front and Rear side is now no longer used

3. Rear surround: Uses Front wide and Rear Front.  No sides like #2

4. Ceiling - Front top and rear top still used in all 4

Adaptive mode:  enables the front and rear side speakers which wasn't used in standard mode???

1. Side and rear surround: Uses Front wide and side.  Uses Rear front and side

Craziness. but at least all the speakers are being used in adaptive mode. So I guess I use that mode