JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

TV sound on when Sound Bar is set as sound source

(Topic created: 11-09-2019 04:19 PM)
jmillet
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I have a HW-Q6CR sound Bar connected from HDMI Out (TV-ARC) to HDMI IN 4(ARC) on my QN55Q65 TV.  I'm using an Xfinity X1 Xr15 remote to turn on and off the X1 cable box, the TV and the sound bar.  I have the sound mode on the TV setting defaulted to the sound bar not the TV speakers.  When I turn the three devices on using the Xfinity remote the sound bar comes on as the sound source but the TV sound also comes on in the background at the 20 volume level. In order to silence the TV sound I have to use the Samsung TV remote to go to the sound settings and turn the TV sound level down to zero.

Is this a normal condition or is there some way I can make sure the TV speakers stay off?

9 Replies
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

Hey! Thanks for reaching out, can I have your full model number to better assist you? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
jmillet
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Thasnks for your prompt response as usual 🙂

The Samsung Harman Kardon sound bar model number is HW-Q6CR, and the Samsung TV model number is QN55 Q65FN,

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

ARC is detected whenever the television is turned on. Do you have any other devices in this set up? You could just connect Xfinity to the Soundbar and the Soundbar to the TV. In this set up, you can use any HDMI port and ARC would not be necessary. 

0 Likes
jmillet
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I want the ARC detected but I don't want the TV speakers to come on at low volume (20) in the background. I don't have any other devices in this setup although I do have a Panasonic Blu-ray player connected to HDMI 3 and an Amazon 4K Fire Stick connected to HDMI 2.  The Xfinity X1 cable box is connected to HDMI 1.

The Xfinity X1 cable box may be the problem since when I'm using the Fire Stick with the TV and the sound bar  the TV sound is not activated. 

I'll try your set up and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted as to the results.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

My apologies for the confusion. The Firestick and Blu-ray player would be the other devices I was referring to. You would still need to utilize ARC. 

Have you tried turning on the soundbar first? 

0 Likes
Solution
jmillet
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

When in doubt read the User Manual 🙂 Page 13 of the HW-Q6CR User Manual addresses "connecting an external device". Following these directions I connected the HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT jack on my Xfinity X1 cable box to the HDMI IN jack on the sound bar. Then set the sound bar source to "HDMI".  Went to the settings menu on the QN55 Q65FN TV selected the HW-Q6CR sound bar as the sound source.

Problem solved. All the TV sound is now going through the sound bar "HDMI" source.  The sound bar is connected to the TV via HDMI cable from HDMI OUT (TV-ARC) jack on the sound bar to the HDMI IN (ARC) jack on the TV. 

The Xfinity Xr15 remote still operates the TV, the sound bar, and the cable box.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Great! Thanks for the update.

0 Likes
Samsung_wUnzSpu
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

Thanks

0 Likes
userbNtm0UgtIT
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

I have had a similar issue, but also have an Apple TV and use a Harmony Remote.  What is the best way to do this configuration?  I keep having issues where the TV defaults to the TV speaker, rather than the sound bar.

0 Likes