Original topic:

Range (NY63T8751SS/AA) thinks temp probe is plugged in; oven won't work

(Topic created: 01-13-2024 06:12 PM)
absinthe1021
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I do have an open service ticket number for this: <HIDDEN>

I have a Samsung NY63T8751SS/AA (gas range, electric oven), purchased in mid 2021. The following problem recently REoccurred (second occurrence). 

In the midst of cooking on Bake in the oven, the oven alarms with a double beep and displays the following message:
IMG_4025.jpg

Nothing can be done to clear this message. After a short while, the oven shuts off. If you turn it back on, you just get the error message again. I even went to the trouble of shutting off the breaker (at the advice of Samsung customer service, who I called) and turning it back on, but the error persisted. Unfortunately I had a meatloaf in the oven that was about 10-15 degrees shy of being fully cooked.
This happened once before, within the unit's warranty period. I apparently called Samsung at the time, who sent out a technician to "fix" this.

The "temp probe" in question was supplied with the oven and is intended to be plugged in to a circular receptacle in the upper part of the oven. I have never used it. But apparently, when this problem occurs, the oven thinks one is plugged in. Yes, I did try to fix the issue by plugging in the temp probe and then removing it, but that didn't clear the error code.

Now Samsung tells me that the unit is out of warranty and so a charge will apply to come and "repair" the oven. This thing was $2400 and is only a bit more than 2 years old. I absolutely do not want to pay to have this "fixed." The issue seems to me to be a design flaw and not a matter of wear and tear or something "breaking." I have this intuition that perhaps some grease or other buildup on the temp probe receptacle/slot inside the oven is causing this problem. In searching online, it seems like other users have dealt with the issue by repeatedly plugging and unplugging the temp probe, or in other cases by in some way cleaning the receptacle (though some of these cases I've read about were not this stove, not even a Samsung stove, or not even the identical issue that I'm having but only related to the temp probe).

Trouble is, I can't try any method of repairing this myself because the problem has now gone away (I had to finish the meatloaf using the Bake function in my microwave ... also a Samsung, haha). But of course now I'm worried that the next time I'm cooking something, and the oven heats up, the problem will recur. This would be a disaster if it happened, say, on Thanksgiving.

If this is going to be a recurring issue, Samsung should give me some advice on how to mitigate the problem: Either "clean" it myself, or some way to avoid it. The problem is unbelievably frustrating in an appliance that cost over two grand. I can't imagine having to pay a technician every year or two to fix this. Honestly, before I would pay several hundred bucks to have it "repaired," I'd just buy a $750 flat-top range and sacrifice my gas stove, just for the sake of reliability and simplicity.
19 Replies
Co-chris
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I gave same issue but in warranty; never ever used probe and should be option to disable 

0 Likes
mikey222
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I am having the same issue

0 Likes
Debbies
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Same issue for months. Warranty just expired. So upsetting to spend that much money for this to happen in such a short time. 

0 Likes
John1231
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I’m having the same issue, too.  Gas range, Electric oven.  It’s about 6 months old, and just started having the “ To use Temp mode, try a different mode” error.  The first time it happened, we were sitting in the den, not even using the oven, and it starts beeping this error repeatedly.  Now it’s having the error more frequently.. sometimes when using the oven, and sometimes shortly after turning it off.  Very annoying and frustrating…

0 Likes
Dillonwatkins
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Same issue here.  The oven is only two months old. After an hour on the phone with Samsung they could not help me.   I ended up opening the door, putting the oven on bake, and plugging/unplugging the probe several times and got it working.  But only momentarily.   This leads me to believe it is a connection sensor and by cleaning it you may fix it.  I will try that now. 

BrandonSteamEngineer
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Make sure you do not have a liner in bottom of oven. It messes with circulation Found out for myself after too much time on Samsung Tech 

ladyboss5555
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Yep had this same problem happen today. I was dehydrating sweet potatoes and had a tray on the very bottom and that was when the probe error came on. Read your comment and tool the tray out and probe error went away. Thank you for your time on the Samsung tech part. Greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
neverbuysamsung2
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Same issue and mine is under warranty- They replaces it with a new stove and just after the 30 day mark it happened again and their policy will not let them replace it again. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PRODUCT AGAIN

Shawn1207
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Reset your breakers to the range. It worked for me. Maybe it reset the oven.