JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

My TV (M5500 series 5) screen randomly blacks out, then works when turning it off and on again.

(Topic created: 12-04-2023 05:54 AM)
Dragonizedice
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

My TV (Samsung Smart Tv 32Inch UA32M5500ASXNZ) has recently started doing this thing where the screen randomly goes black, while sound still works. When I turn my TV off and on again, the screen works as before. How long I off it for doesn't matter- it works even if I turn it off and then immediately turn it back on.

Once on again, it will work for a few minutes (3-7mins, and then will fade to black. I've tried doing a soft reset and changing the power cable, but to no avail. I've also checked the timer and eco sensor and turned off the automatic dimming in case that was the issue, but still nothing. 

The screen has also had 2-3 flickering lines on the top and bottom of the screen for a few months now, but that seems to be a non-issue. They're very fine so it doesn't really cause much of a hindrance while watching stuff.

When it blacksout, there is still backlight, like a normal black screen (not as though the TV is off), but I can't see any color when I shine a torch to the screen. This started around 4 days ago, it randomly worked fine for 2 days after the first day it started acting up, and now it's back to blacking out.

Any advice on what the issue could be, and how to fix it?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
LED and OLED TVs
@Dragonizedice

Here is a generalized idea of what's happening with your Samsung Television.

"Samsung 32" Full HD Flat TV M5500 Series 5" (UA32M5500ASXNZ)

It's unlikely that the issue you're experiencing with your Samsung Television can be resolved by performing the procedural troubleshooting steps. Usually there are a number of them. However, it sounds unlikely that they will resolve your issue.

As far as the issue you are experiencing from what symptoms you do mention. It sounds like there's a problem with the power board side of your Television. That's not to say that it's just the power supply board or just one issue. The issue you are experiencing is the internal system that protects the Television from further damage.

It very well could be that there are LED Strips that have gone bad. The internal Power Supply Expects an expected uptake voltage to the LED's. The LED's are supposed to consume that expected power. When it senses that the LED's aren't consuming the power they should be. It will cause the Television to shut off.

I hope that I have given you an idea as to where to look. I don't work for Samsung nor can my advice be taken as being for Samsung Corporation or any of it's Affiliates. Depending on the age of the Television and how much you want to pay? You could have it repaired or fix it yourself. My personal opinion.

Once again Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community and thank you for your question regarding your Samsung Television. I hope that I have been of assistance to you with your questions. Thank you!

View solution in context

6 Replies
OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
LED and OLED TVs
@Dragonizedice

Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community and thank you for your question regarding your Samsung Television. I'd like to be of assistance to you with your question. I'll suggest a few potential solutions for you to try.

Samsung Product Support Website:

"How to Discharge or Cold Boot Your Samsung Television"

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062957/

1. Unplug the TV from the power source.
2. ***Wait for at least 60 seconds to discharge any residual power.***
3. Plug the TV back into the power source.
4. Disconnect all Devices & Cables from your Samsung Television IE: USB, HDMI, Digital Optical Output, Mouse, & Keyboard
5. Attempt to turn on the TV using the remote or the physical power button.
6. If your Samsung Television is plugged into a Power Strip or Surge Protector. (Test and ensure that the Power Strip or Surge Protector is Functioning Properly)

If these steps don't resolve the issue with your Samsung Television. I will provide additional information on how to seek Support for your Samsung Television here:

Please contact Samsung Customer Care: 1-800-SAMSUNG

You can find support at Samsung's Website here:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

Or if you prefer you can also send a private message with your full model and Serial Number and the Information below to a Samsung Moderator. @Samsung_Moderator

Please be sure to have this information available:

Place of purchase:
First and Last Name:
Physical Street Address:
City, State, and Zip Code:
Home phone number:
Alternate phone number:
Email address:

Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community and thank you for your question regarding your Samsung Television. Samsung Customer Support is here to assist you. Thank you!
0 Likes
Dragonizedice
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Thank you for your reply. 

Unfortunately this did not work. There are no software updates and the self diagnosis only includes picture and sound, not software. 

Anything else I could try?

0 Likes
OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
LED and OLED TVs
@Dragonizedice

I performed an Internet Search to locate additional information about your Samsung Television. I will provide you with Samsung's Support Website for your Television.

Samsung Product Support Website:

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/model/UA32M5500ASXNZ/

Samsung Product Screen Replacement Price List Website:

https://www.samsung.com/nz/support/tv-audio-video/screen-replacement-pricing/

You can perform the troubleshooting steps on the Samsung Product Support Webite. If these steps don't resolve your issue. Your Samsung Television will require service.

I will post additional information about the issues you are reporting in greater detail. Based on what information you have shared. I can give you an idea as to what the Service Technician, and or Service Center will tell you.

I don't work for Samsung Corporation or any of it's Affiliates. Based on my many years of experience. You can use it as a guidline. Because without physical access to the Television and physically diagnostics. I cannot give you a conclusive formal diagnosis.

Thank you! I will post it shortly.
0 Likes
Solution
OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
LED and OLED TVs
@Dragonizedice

Here is a generalized idea of what's happening with your Samsung Television.

It's unlikely that the issue you're experiencing with your Samsung Television can be resolved by performing the procedural troubleshooting steps. Usually there are a number of them. However, it sounds unlikely that they will resolve your issue.

As far as the issue you are experiencing from what symptoms you do mention. It sounds like there's a problem with the power board side of your Television. That's not to say that it's just the power supply board or just one issue. The issue you are experiencing is the internal system that protects the Television from further damage.

It very well could be that there are LED Strips that have gone bad. The internal Power Supply Expects an expected uptake voltage to the LED's. The LED's are supposed to consume that expected power. When it senses that the LED's aren't consuming the power they should be. It will cause the Television to shut off.

I hope that I have given you an idea as to where to look. I don't work for Samsung nor can my advice be taken as being for Samsung Corporation or any of it's Affiliates. Depending on the age of the Television and how much you want to pay? You could have it repaired or fix it yourself. My personal opinion.

Once again Thank you for using the Samsung Member's Community and thank you for your question regarding your Samsung Television. I hope that I have been of assistance to you with your questions. Thank you!
Dragonizedice
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Thank you so so much for your reply! You did an excellent job of explaining it to me. I figured as much, I have done almost everything short of opening it up and tinkering with it myself, but to no avail. I assume it is the led strips, as when it does black out, it starts from one corner and the picture looks like it burns out right before it goes black. That, and the fact that there are a lot of brown outs where I live, enough to fry most electronics. Fortunately the backlight still seems to work so there's hope for it yet. 

I contacted the Samsung reps via live chat and the troubleshooters they gave did not work, and I was told to contact a technician. However, I do not have any official Samsung outlets or technicians where I live, so here's to me trying to Google how to fix it myself. If all else fails, I guess my Xmas gift to myself will be a new TV, and an empty bank account lol. 

That being said, thank you so much once again for your valuable time, especially since you're not affiliated with Samsung. You were a great help, and did an amazing job of breaking it up and explaining things. I hope you're proud of yourself, I sure would be! Hope you have a fantastic week ahead. 

OoYORIoO
Sun
Options
LED and OLED TVs
I'm pleased that I have been of assistance to you. I try my best to assist users with their questions to the best of my ability. Thank you so much and I wish you the best of potential outcomes on what you decide to do.

One more thing! Be sure to post with questions, comments, and feedback in the future. Related to any of Samsung's Products, Services, Applications and much more! Especially if you want real reviews and tips (if you decide) to purchase a new Samsung Television.

Thank you!

For future reference please invest in a high-quality Surge Protector to protect your future electronics. Expect to pay a decent amount. Not the cheap one's!

Please check out Tom's Guide Website:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-surge-protector

He gives a breakdown and reviews the best Surge Protectors of 2023!
0 Likes