JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

980 Pro 1TB Drive Read and Write Speeds Slow compared to my other 980 pro drives?

(Topic created: 10-15-2022 03:16 PM)
userHeygNUCnQo
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

One of my 980 pro drives has slowed significantly in both read and write speeds ~ 5500 read / ~ 4200  writes speeds (533k / 849k IOPS), while my other 980 pro drives have near the advertised read/write speeds of 7000/5000 (1M / 1M IOPS) respectively...?

I have removed the drive and reinstalled it, wiped it cleaned, but no change?

Temperatures are relatively the same between the drives ranging from 40C to 60C depending on their usage...

980pro 2tb performance1.png980pro 1tb performance1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userHeygNUCnQo
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

After running diagnostics and benchmarks I found the 1tb 980 pro drive had an issue with offset/alignment @ 4k cluster, which after fixed, has shown to improved performance closer to advertised speeds...  Paragon hard disk manager was used to reset the partition. After a reboot and setup again in Samsung Magician, see the below improved results.

980 1tb fixed offset_align 4k cluster.png

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Monitors and Memory
Return it
0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Post pics of their Drive Details please.

0 Likes
userHeygNUCnQo
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

980 PRO 2TB DRVE DASHBOARD.png980 PRO 2TB DRVE DETAILS.png980 PRO 1TB DRVE DASHBOARD.png980 PRO 1TB DRVE DETAILS.png

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

The 2TB 980 has  twice the  cache of the 1TB 980 and will always test better.

I looked at a Magician pic of a 1TB 980 on Samsung SSD site and the performance was very close to what your  1TB indicates. 

I am running 8 1&2 TB 980 Pros in my gaming machine and the Benchmarks all vary.  I personally don't worry about it.

0 Likes
Jeff231
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
This sounds like the drive might be running a slower PCIe version, or has been allocated 2 lanes instead of 4. Either way, the drive in question that you pictured is still plenty fast, and you would not notice a difference unless you were transfering large files (>50GB) to or from the drive.

Another likely senario, is that the 2TB version has a better binned controller than the 1TB, which would better explain the difference.
0 Likes
userHeygNUCnQo
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Appreciate the replies. The 1tb 980 pro in last few months has slowed from the advertised speeds to what you see in the screenshots.

This 1tb 980 pro drive has been moved between slots with bus connection verified to be at PCIe Gen 4 x4 in either slot position.

The other 2tb 980 pro has consistently maintains the advertised speeds in either position.

I believe the concern is; why is the 1tb 980 pro slowing down significantly as this drive has very little use of life... 

I see Samsung has had a number of issues with maintaining 980 pro SSD speeds (not sure if it is only on 1tb and smaller drives).

Anyone have experience with other 2tb NVME drives they would recommend?

0 Likes
Solution
userHeygNUCnQo
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

After running diagnostics and benchmarks I found the 1tb 980 pro drive had an issue with offset/alignment @ 4k cluster, which after fixed, has shown to improved performance closer to advertised speeds...  Paragon hard disk manager was used to reset the partition. After a reboot and setup again in Samsung Magician, see the below improved results.

980 1tb fixed offset_align 4k cluster.png

0 Likes