Original topic:

My iMac not recognizing the Slimfit camera on my Viewfinity S9

(Topic created: 08-08-2024 02:23 AM)
Members_nWlS5pC
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently purchased this monitor and after a few hiccups figured out how to use it on my 2017 iMac as a secondary monitor (overly complicated).  I was disappointed that it did not support 5K on the 2017 Intel-based iMac, but I'll be getting a new one in the coming year so I'll live with the 4K till then.   I cannot however figure out how to get the iMac to recognize the SlimFit 4K camera that came with the monitor.  Anyone else got this to work?

7 Replies
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

That should be fun as the 2017 Imac has Thunderbolt 3 ports and the S9 is Thunderbolt 4.  The S9 User manual has a couple of pages concerning Thunderbolt and Type C connections.

The Imac specs I found say it can support:

• One 5120‑by‑2880 (5K) external display at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors,

• OR

• Two 3840-by-2160 (4K UHD) external displays at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors,

• OR

• Two 4096‑by‑2304 (4K) external displays at 60Hz with support for millions of colors

• Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C

• Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

0 Likes
Members_nWlS5pC
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Explains the resolution, but not the camera.  😞

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Did you try plugging the camera directly into the Mac?

0 Likes
Members_nWlS5pC
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Works if I plug it in directly, but should not have to do that. That's the whole reason it comes with an adapter that attaches directly to the back of the monitor.  Should not have to run separate cable just for that.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Perhaps it will work with an up to date Thunderbolt 4 computer.

0 Likes
Members_nWlS5pC
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Not helpful at all. Actually, rather rude comment.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Well, you did say you would be getting a new computer.

Google AI reports:

AI Overview

The Samsung ViewFinity S9 monitor has a 4K SlimFit camera that can attach magnetically to the back of the display. It can be used with select Mac devices that have DisplayPort and Thunderbolt 4 (90W) connectivity, including:
  • MacBook Pro (2021 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
  • MacBook Air (2022 or later)
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020)
  • iMac (2021 or later)
  • Mac mini (2020 or later)
  • Mac Studio 

0 Likes