Original topic:

Odyssey G70NC DisplayPort causes MacBook Air to Kernel Panic

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've been trying to resolve this for months.

Behavior: Kernel Panic when waking from sleep, ONLY when connected to the TS4 via DisplayPort. Crashes vary from simple restarts to Recovery screens requiring reinstallation of the OS. When connected directly to the MacBook via USB-C cable, the laptop does not panic but the monitor constantly power cycles through the standby screen. Intermittently, when powered off while using DisplayPort input, monitor will not power on unless I hold down the power button on the remote.

Equipment: M2 MacBook Air 15", CalDigit TS4, Samsung Monitor (Odyssey G70NC)

Things I have tried:

• Booted into Safe Mode
  • Disconnected ALL peripherals from the CalDigit AND the MacBook Air
  • Changed out the DisplayPort cable with 3 others
  • Changed out the Thunderbolt cable with 2 others
  • Changed monitor settings to a multitude of configurations, including faster and slower frame rates, disabled Game Mode, etc.
  • Connected to an alternate monitor with DisplayPort 1.4 - Mac does NOT panic
  • Genius Bar completed a full reset of MacOS 14 and Firmware
  • Upgraded to MacOS 15
  • Connected via USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4 cable
  • Unplugged the CalDigit for 60+ seconds, booted Mac into Safe Mode, connected the CalDigit
  • Updated the Firmware on the CalDigit TS4 - both the Power Delivery firmware and 39.1
  • Sent logs to CalDigit for review - have not received an update on this
  • CalDigit informs me Samsung Odyssey monitors have been known to have issues
6 Replies
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Additional details:

When using DP1.4 the monitor does not power down. I realize most Samsung TVs do not completely power off unless the power button is held down on the remote, but this is a monitor, and I expect different behavior.

When I press the power button normally to power off the monitor while the MacBook is connected, the monitor remains detected as a connected device extending the desktop.

With the monitor has "powered off," if the last input was set to DisplayPort, it will not power on normally. I can barely make out the window animation of the monitor "powering on/off" when I press the power button on the remote, but it never goes beyond a completely black/blank screen. The only way to get the monitor back to normal function is to hold down the power button on the remote control.

None of these problems occur when using HDMI, but I lose the faster refresh rates and other color benefits I get when using DP1.4. Not to mention I just want the product I purchased to work properly.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Which came first, the monitor or the Mac?

Buying a monitor/streaming tv with no matching ports on the intended computer makes no sense.

There will be compromises adapting dissimilar ports.

Buy a TB3 to DP1.4 cable and call it a day.

Reddit informs me Caldigit has been known to have issues...

The 43" M70B sports a compatible type C  and HDMI ports. 

0 Likes
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks for responding! Appreciate it. Some points of clarification:

The CalDigit TS4 and M2 MacBook Air are both TB4. Wouldn't a TB4 cable work? Or do I need a TB3 cable? I've actually used a TB4/USB4 to DP1.4 cable with the same problems - kernel panics when connected to the CalDigit TS4, and constantly power cycles the monitor when connected directly to the Macbook. But I'm willing to try a TB3 cable if it would make a difference.

However, the CalDigit TS4 has a full size, traditional, DP 1.4 port on the back, and when I connect DP1.4 to DP1.4 the Macbook is guaranteed to crash upon wake. These are exactly the same ports, not dissimilar. Something is wrong with the DP on the monitor. See here: G7 Monitor Not Detecting DisplayPort - Samsung Community 

I bought the items together as there was no mention of incompatibility, and with the MacBook Air limited to only 1 external display, this 43" display seemingly fit the bill. The monitor is also connected to a dual-boot workstation with Windows and Linux via HDMI. As described, this monitor should be great for my use cases.

I've seen the same Reddit threads, but upon a deep dive with their support team, I do not believe the docking station is the issue. I honestly believe Samsung needs to solve a software bug, but I'm willing to listen to any and all reasonable suggestions.

0 Likes
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

After further investigation, it has become very clear this is a driver issue in MacOS.

I suspect Samsung provides the driver for inclusion in the MacOS kernel. Does anyone know which company writes the driver? What is the best way to make the owner of the driver aware of the problems?

0 Likes
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

This has to be a driver issue. Which company provides the driver for these monitors? Since upgrading to MacOS 15, the MacBook now crashes when it wakes from sleep connected via HDMI (used to be my workaround), and the monitor is set to 4k. It has not crashed (yet) if the monitor is set to 1080 or 1440. I have not tested if the monitor crashes over DP1.4 when the resolution is set below 4k yet.

When speaking to a "Big-A" Support representative, they said Samsung provides the driver to them for inclusion in the OS. Can anyone please confirm if that is true?

More reports of the EXACT same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/CalDigit/comments/1bupwdl/ts4_macbook_pro_and_samsung_odyssey_monitor_cause...

0 Likes
kingcoldcuts
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just heard back from my case manager with "Big-A" Support (who has been AWESOME). For everyone's information:

Thanks for reaching out! The drivers for the display are submitted to "Big-A" through the manufacturer of the devices themselves, unless a generic device driver is used instead. 

Since the model (and not ā€œGeneric Displayā€) for all Samsung displays usually show up under System Settings > Displays and under System Information > Hardware when theyā€™re plugged in, this indicates Samsung submits updated drivers to "Big-A" to be included in the operating system.

In short, Samsung would be responsible for the driver for your display. 

Please let me know if you need any further clarification or assistance.

0 Likes