JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Odyssey G9 will not wake up

(Topic created: 12-16-2020 07:25 PM)
usercYMYbjswJl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am having an issue with my new Odyssey G9 in that after the monitor goes to sleep, it doesn't wake back up.   Windows thinks the monitor is there and shows it in the list of displays.   Pressing Win + Shift + Ctrl + b does fliker the screens, but the monitor does not wake up.

It does not appear to be a windows issue because if Windows goes to sleep before the monitor does, then everything comes back.   Only after the monitor times out and goes into power save does this problem surface.

The only way I have been able for it to show back up is disconnect the cable or turn the monitor off and then on again.

Anyone experiencing this issue?

MSI GS65 Stealth

nVidia RTX 2080

Windows 10 v10.0.19041

Connected via DP

usercYMYbjswJl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

What firmware version are you using on your G9?

I already have the HDR turned off, but it still does the lockup.   When I put the computer to sleep, it seems to come back, only when I let the computer screen shut down and then the monitor shuts down.   Once that happens, it will not wake.

@samsung978531Can someone please comment on this issue?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Some graphics card drivers or Windows builds require a setting to be changed to send a 'wake' command to an external monitor. Since your monitor does wake under some scenarios, but not others, I recommend checking with the PC manufacturer and/or Windows forums, as this is a high traffic question for all manufacturer and OS providers.

0 Likes
userfuQxtgmcIK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having this exact issue except cAnt access any of the monitor menus as it's just a black or dimly lit grey screen. Absolutely no picture or menu. 

So I cannot access anything or reset it. 

Everything is working except picture. 

going to try and seek a refund from retailer tomorrow. Any readers DO NOT BUY THIS MONITOR. I'd prefer no monitor than a replacement 

0 Likes
usercYMYbjswJl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

All you have to do is hold the power button in (for about 5 seconds) and it will power the monitor off.   Then watch the blue light.   When it flashes (about 30 seconds later), then tap (press, but do not hold) the power button to turn it back on.   

This works for me whenever it gets into this stuck mode.   With this, and sleeping my computer at night, I have been able to minimize the need for doing this routine and it wakes up fine.    Still happens if I leave my computer too long without putting it to sleep, but I don't do that often.

Aside from that (hopefully a firmware issue), the monitor is fantastic.   I am just waiting for Samsung to release a working firmware.   I am using 1005.4 which has been the most stable that I have been able to find.

0 Likes
usergcTAgGi0iV
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

My G9 fails to wake up every single morning. If I use any of my other monitors (ASUS, Dell, Acer) via the same port on the same GPU than it wakes up fine without issue. 

For me the scenario where it doesn't work is when my Odyssey G9 is in use.

0 Likes
ChrisKnight
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm having the same issue, on my new 3080 as well as a 980ti I tested on.  The 980ti was having the issue at 120MHz, and the 3080 at 120MHz and 240MHz.  I first noticed the issue after I upgraded to 1008.1, and I don't think I was having it on 1006.2

0 Likes
usercYMYbjswJl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am glad you mentioned that it still exists in 1008.1, I was going to give that a try, but I will stick with 1006.2.    You can downgrade if you want.   Just download the older version and rename the file to 1008.2 or something and it will let you load it.

0 Likes
userW1aHb53YOM
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Anyone got a fix for this wake problem. I recieved my monitor today and it wont turn back on once the pc is shut off. The power button trick worked once (when the light flashing pushing it once more to get the menu), that only worked once though the first time to bring the menu up.

Now I cant even get the menu up. The monitor seems to turn on and off with the input tried both DP from my RTX2070 and a HDMI source from my laptop and both are the same. Tried them both with the other sources disconnected and I have also powered the monitor down but it's still the same. Seems incredibly poor for any screen let alone one costing this much. The firmware os 1006.2.

0 Likes
userf8WcVZaEVw
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just got my G9 today, plugged it in a Mac Mini M1 by using a DP-Cable and... same Problem on Firmware 1006.2. I then   updated to 1008.1 - same story. Changed whatever things in the menu to off... nothing. Then downgraded to 1005.4 and that seems to work better at the moment. However the problem still is not solved. 

It seems to be a firmware problem that hopefully gets fixed by Samsung asap. At this price this bug is not acceptable. Will check if there is a solution within the next 10 days - if not I will return the unit and get a LG.

0 Likes
usercYMYbjswJl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am hoping they get this fixed soon too.

What troubles me is that I have asked @samsung978531 a number of times to respond and all we get back are crickets.

Maybe if we all added a post to each Samsung member asking for a response we will get some answers???  lol

@Anonymous can you help us get some answers to this post?