JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 980 SSD and Magician

(Topic created: 04-11-2023 08:21 PM)
wiztom
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

First 980 that I bought had the "read only " error. Replaced it with another MZ-V8V500 SSD in an external Sabrent Case. Downloaded Magician to make sure the bios was up to date, after formatting it to a simple drive.

Magician sees it as a generic USB drive and wont update it. I was watching a You Tube video about Magician. The user popped an new 2TB Samsung NVMe memory card into a Mokin case and plugged it into his laptop. The Magician saw it right away and he was able to update it. Not sure what the issue is here.

My C: drive is a Samsung 850 Evo which it sees fine. I do not have any internal conectors for a NVMe M.2 stick, however.

5 Replies
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Does your computer have a  type C 3.1 or 3.2 interface?

Does the Sabrent?

0 Likes
wiztom
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I actually have two. The original says it supports 3.1 gen 2 and the newer one I bought says it supports supports 3.2

0 Likes
wiztom
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Oh wait you asked if my computer has a type C3.1 or 3.2 interface as well.

I assume it does, as I used the original Samsung without any issues till it blew up. But I never looked at it in Magician so that's a valid question. I don't know I will investigate that.

0 Likes
wiztom
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

The Sabrent's do the computer does not, Just type 3 USB Ports.

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Red Giant
Options
Monitors and Memory

Since your computer has a native SCSI interface inside I think you would have been better off with an a SCSI 870 Evo instead of an NVME device it's clueless about.

Or, just ignore Magician and use  the 980 as a generic drive.