JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 990 PRO Firmware update to 3B2QJXD7 failed.

(Topic created: 05-22-2023 10:54 AM)
user_sd9bxz0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Just recently bought a 990 PRO 2TB to put in my Dell XPS 8950. The drive was recognized by the computer. It came with firmware 1B2QJXD7. I installed Samsung Magician and updated to 7.3.0, checked the info (no incompatibilities) and successfully ran the benchmarks.  All was well. No issues. This morning, I got a notification to update the firmware on my 990 PRO from 1B2QJXD7 to 3B2QJXD7, but when I click on the "update" button, it starts the update and tells me I should save my work and I click "Ok" to continue the update. However, the update fails soon after that and returns with "Failed to update the firmware on the selected drive." Looked at the log files. Seems to be trying to do the firmware update but can't seem to find it and just times out. Anyone seeing the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

TIA

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user_sd9bxz0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update: Well I found a solution that works on my Dell computer. The solution is one that I saw posted as a solution to this problem, in several places, but I discounted because it seemed like it was too much to do to get a firmware update to work. There had to be something easier. My computer has 2 slots for SSDs. It came with a 1TB SSD in one slot and I put my 990 PRO 2TB in the other slot. The posted solution that worked for me was to swap the SSDs (put the 990 in slot0?). I swapped the SSDs, started up and Samsung Magician installed the firmware cleanly, without changing anything else. Took less than 5 minutes (use proper anti static mat and wrist strap).

Not sure whose problem this is but it sure is a problem. It may also be an interaction between Samsung and whatever your device is (Dell in my case). Somebody has to make this better. If your device has more than one SSD slots it may be worth trying. Worked for me. My problem is now SOLVED.

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 Replies
laex1
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Got same issue.
Solution:
1. Reboot Windows
2. Try again with no other program started

Worked for me.

UPD: Also i installed last Windows 11 Update on this reboot.

fesg
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Idem that Astronaut.

Exactly the same situation (update from win 11 without reboot) and simultaneously update firmware.
Result, FAIL
Rebooting and try again with only the firmware, and all Ok

0 Likes
aroman_ro
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have three of them in a PC. Samsung Magician could update the firmware only in one of them (the one corresponding to the boot drive - c:). 

For the other two it fails without any error message from the UI.

Tried repeatedly, even after restarting Magician in administrator mode with the same results.

theblaster
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

same for me,  mine is in the second slot, assume this is the issue, but why doesn't Samsung address this issue ?  

USflatliner
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Today I was able to successfully update the FW of my two 1 TB 990 Pro in my Galaxy Book Ultra to the new Firmware version with the Samsung Magician software and without any problems. Samsung has obviously fixed the FW update, as can be read in the change log. Alternatively, you could also update the update with the ISO file. Here is the download.

https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/

0 Likes
aroman_ro
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Still doesn't work for me so it's not really fixed for all cases.

MiataMX5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

After working through this error, I may have a solution...

• System: HP EVNY LAPTOP16-h0xxx
  • Drives: 2 x Samsung SSK 990 Pro TB

What ended up working was the following:

1. Windows Key --> Start Up Apps

2. I disabled everything; except: 

• Windows Security Notification Icon
  • Realtek HD Audio Universal Service 
  • Personal Software; just missed these, it didn't matter though
    • Synology back up 
    • ElgatoAudioControlServerWatcher

3. Rebooted

4. Ran Samsung Magician

5. Installed update successfully.

Notes:

A "potential culprit" may have been Docker Desktop; this is set to run at Start Up.

Additionally, I use a Primo Cache that creates a layer between my disks and memory; slick program if you haven't tried it. I have 64GB of ram and allocate 32GB for the cache. Either way, I paused the cache before rebooting.

- I did try creating a bootable USB from the ISO but received a "bad shim signature," which may be due to Secure Boot. 

Best wishes for a successful install!

0 Likes
Solution
user_sd9bxz0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update: Well I found a solution that works on my Dell computer. The solution is one that I saw posted as a solution to this problem, in several places, but I discounted because it seemed like it was too much to do to get a firmware update to work. There had to be something easier. My computer has 2 slots for SSDs. It came with a 1TB SSD in one slot and I put my 990 PRO 2TB in the other slot. The posted solution that worked for me was to swap the SSDs (put the 990 in slot0?). I swapped the SSDs, started up and Samsung Magician installed the firmware cleanly, without changing anything else. Took less than 5 minutes (use proper anti static mat and wrist strap).

Not sure whose problem this is but it sure is a problem. It may also be an interaction between Samsung and whatever your device is (Dell in my case). Somebody has to make this better. If your device has more than one SSD slots it may be worth trying. Worked for me. My problem is now SOLVED.

0 Likes
SebKac
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

U mnie aktualizacja poszła po wyłączeniu zapory w Windows 11. Dysk samsung 990 pro 1T zaktualizował się 🙂

0 Likes