JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung 990 PRO Firmware update to 3B2QJXD7 failed.

(Topic created: 05-22-2023 10:54 AM)
user_sd9bxz0
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Just recently bought a 990 PRO 2TB to put in my Dell XPS 8950. The drive was recognized by the computer. It came with firmware 1B2QJXD7. I installed Samsung Magician and updated to 7.3.0, checked the info (no incompatibilities) and successfully ran the benchmarks.  All was well. No issues. This morning, I got a notification to update the firmware on my 990 PRO from 1B2QJXD7 to 3B2QJXD7, but when I click on the "update" button, it starts the update and tells me I should save my work and I click "Ok" to continue the update. However, the update fails soon after that and returns with "Failed to update the firmware on the selected drive." Looked at the log files. Seems to be trying to do the firmware update but can't seem to find it and just times out. Anyone seeing the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

TIA

JUMP TO SOLUTION
11 Replies
aroman_ro
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Here is what was the solution for me, just in case some others are looking for it:

1. Download the iso with the firmware. Make a bootable usb stick with it (using rufus or something like that).

2. Reboot, go into bios, set uefi booting to 'other'.

3. If raid is enabled, disable it (warning: if you have a raid array set up, be careful).

4. Boot from the stick and update the firmware.

5. Reboot and enter bios to put back the settings as they were.

I think the issue in my case occurred because I had raid enabled, although it's odd that Magician was able to update the firmware on the first ssd. With the raid enabled, the linux utility from the iso didn't list any ssd. 

The ssds are not in any raid array, the bios just had the raid enabled.

twakeland
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I only have the 1 drive and suffered with the same problem, mine was resolved by doing the latest windows update, rebooting and then doing the update right away.. I didn't stop any of my normal start up programs.

0 Likes