Original topic:

Samsung Viewfinity S9 - Coil Whine - Sound Issue

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
Canberk
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently bought a Samsung Viewfinity S9. I’m using it with my MacBook Air M3, connecting the MacBook via the Thunderbolt 4 cable that came with the monitor.

However, I have an issue with an electrical noise (probably coil whine) coming from the back. This problem occurs when I connect the monitor to the MacBook—a slight buzzing sound appears.

There’s no noise when the mac is not connected or when it’s in main interface of the monitor or in settings interface. The sound changes when I connect or disconnect the camera that came with the monitor. The sound changes when I remove the camera, and it changes again when I plug it back in.

I’m not sure if that sound is normal or not. Because, It’s very quiet, but in a silent room, it’s quite disturbing.

Is there anyone having the same sound issue with the Samsung monitors? Do you think it is related to thunderbolt cable. Should i but a new cable or should i use miniDP port?

4 Replies
mirandakerr
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

im having the same issues. 

i've had a samsung technician replace a board already but the issue has come back about a month later. 

has varying levels of whine, using with both a mac mini m2 pro, and a windows laptop. doesn't happen when using monitors inbuilt OS.

just about to contact support for a more suitable solution. 

0 Likes
dabeeeenster
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm seeing this too - I didnt used to tho - maybe its related to a recent update? 

0 Likes
Canberk
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update on my condition;

I sent the product to Samsung for repair, but the issue remained unresolved, so I requested a replacement. Now, I’ve received a new monitor, and the same sound persists. When I remove the camera, the noise becomes slightly more bearable, so I’m forced to use it without the camera. 

It’s interesting that the issue doesn’t occur when using the monitor’s own interface and only happens when connected to the computer.

I’ve tried both the 1405 and the latest 2000 firmware versions, but the issue remains the same. I’m not sure how to resolve this problem.

Does Samsung expect us to just get used to this sound, or am I just unlucky with faulty products? I’m not sure what’s going on.

0 Likes
pardiml
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here. Have to work with music. Its nuts this is happening to everybody.

0 Likes