Original topic:

Samsung Viewfinity S9 - Coil Whine - Sound Issue

(Topic created: a week ago)
Canberk
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently bought a Samsung Viewfinity S9. Iā€™m using it with my MacBook Air M3, connecting the MacBook via the Thunderbolt 4 cable that came with the monitor.

However, I have an issue with an electrical noise (probably coil whine) coming from the back. This problem occurs when I connect the monitor to the MacBookā€”a slight buzzing sound appears.

Thereā€™s no noise when the mac is not connected or when itā€™s in main interface of the monitor or in settings interface. The sound changes when I connect or disconnect the camera that came with the monitor. The sound changes when I remove the camera, and it changes again when I plug it back in.

Iā€™m not sure if that sound is normal or not. Because, Itā€™s very quiet, but in a silent room, itā€™s quite disturbing.

Is there anyone having the same sound issue with the Samsung monitors? Do you think it is related to thunderbolt cable. Should i but a new cable or should i use miniDP port?

1 Reply
mirandakerr
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

im having the same issues. 

i've had a samsung technician replace a board already but the issue has come back about a month later. 

has varying levels of whine, using with both a mac mini m2 pro, and a windows laptop. doesn't happen when using monitors inbuilt OS.

just about to contact support for a more suitable solution. 

0 Likes