JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung refusing warranty

(Topic created: 11-29-2022 07:32 AM)
userBzrD47oM7n
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I purchased a new, unused, in original packaging 2TB 870 EVO SSD from eBay in May of 2021. I was having performance concerns with it and reached out to Samsung for help. They informed me that because eBay is "not an authorized retailer," they would not honor the warranty. The serial number of the drive shows active warranty through 2026. Now, the drive has 100% failed and isn't even recognized by the PC's BIOS. Yes, I have properly diagnosed the drive has failed; changed power and SATA cables, and changed ports on the motherboard.

How is it even legal for Samsung to deny warranty based on where it was purchased? Especially when the serial number indicates another  3 years of warranty? Now I have a $160+ paperweight.

Imagine buying a used car that's still under the manufacturer's warranty, and having the manufacturer refuse to honor it because you bought it from a private party... Seems vaguely like warranty fraud...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! I understand how this can cause some frustration with not being able to use the warranty on your SSD. Unfortunately, if the SSD was not purchased through an authorized reseller we would be unable to transfer the warranty. You can read more about our warranty statement here: https://semiconductor.samsung.com/us/consumer-storage/support/warranty/. Please feel free to contact us directly at 1 (800) 726-7864 if you have any other questions or concerns. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
14 Replies
Tisme2b
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory
Have you tried to contact the eBay seller? They should honor the warranty or give you a refund.
0 Likes
userBzrD47oM7n
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

It's been more than 30 days with eBay, and more than 180 days with PayPal. Seller has not responded to messages.

0 Likes
Tisme2b
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory
I'm fairly certain it will be the eBay seller's responsibility. Do you have documentation of the warranty they provided with your purchase. I would also write a negative review for that seller. Hopefully it will alert future customers and sometimes it will trigger them to finally respond. Problem is that not all eBay sellers are ethical (hence they're rating system and also why Samsung won't honor it).
0 Likes
userBzrD47oM7n
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

It was a new unopened package. The serial number has been validated. Again, I refer to buying a used vehicle.

I purchased a hard drive from Computer City (yeah, I know, I'm old) that failed. They would not honor the warranty; told me I had to go through the manufacturer.

0 Likes
userWPXASBmhKF
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
Sounds like 160 reasons to purchase through an authorized dealer next time.
0 Likes
userBzrD47oM7n
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ain't hindsight wonderful?

This never would have crossed my mind; until now.

0 Likes
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
I am 100% certain somewhere in the Samsung terms and conditions is a statement something to the effect that the warranty is only valid If the product was purchased from Samsung directly or an authorized retailer.
0 Likes
userBzrD47oM7n
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

And who would normally look for something like that?

The only reason I used eBay was to use PayPal credit.

0 Likes
Oxford
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Apparently, you have never heard of due diligence?
0 Likes