Original topic:

GPS Long & Lat NOT DISPLAYING

(Topic created: 03-20-2024 12:03 PM)
RedToad
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

My A51 takes great photos.  And when I review DETAILS for a pix, the phone can position my thumbnail on a map.  So I believed GPS data is being stored for the pix.  But I could find no way to get the phone to display detailed, multi-decimal GPS Long & Lat. 

I saw threads here suggesting permissions for Gallery were preventing display of GPS info.  But checking permissions for the Camera and the Gallery confirmed Location was allowed in all cases.

I tried several EXIF Reader apps.  All displayed dozens of entries, but showed Long & Lat and Elevation as either blank, or zeros.

About the fourth EXIF Reader I installed did  the trick.   "PHOTO METADATA VIEWER" by Syrupy, is somehow able to read and display GPS data stored by the A51, which the phone itself refuses to reveal.

0 Likes
3 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I'm just curious. Can I ask why it's important to know the coordinates?   As long as the photo has location identification, and also shows you where it was taken on a map, why do the geo coordinates matter?  I think you might be able to take the two-step route and go to the location in Google Maps itself, and pinpoint the location, which will then give you the coordinates. Haven't tested this theory myself, though, as the location data provided on my photos is enough for me.  As a matter of fact, I was actually a bit surprised that the location data on my photos actually told me where and what the photo was of, even though I didn't name the photo, which I appreciated because I hate the random photo naming, usually using the date.

realaud_0-1711152810124.jpeg

0 Likes
Senn HeisR
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

This didn't work for me. Even after adding the location, I still wasn't able to extract the info.

The point is, the tagging should be automatic when the camera & gallery have the requisite permissions and this should be standard exif data which any exif reader can read. why the samsung isn't saving the data correctly.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I don't know how it actually works. All I know is I never set anything specific, and I do always have my location on, as well as the camera having permission to access my location.  As you can see in my screen shot above, the location data and picture title were self-populated. I was very surprised to see this, as in the past, if location was in the metadata, it was always geodata coordinates.  I also noticed that when clicking on the location, it brought up Google Maps to show exactly on the map where it was, but no geo coordinates.  For me this information is fine, because I prefer the named location rather than the geo coordinates, as geo coordinates do me no good.

Interestingly, I went back and looked at the info on some of my older photos, taken on different phones/cameras, which I knew to have the actual geo coordinates in the data, and see the location was changed to the street address, so I guess something in the new software just changes the metadata?

0 Likes