JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Alexa Smartthings skill won't discover Samsung TV

(Topic created: 08-31-2023 03:25 PM)
Ken_SRQ
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I have a Samsung TV, Model UN40J5200AF (which I know is "old"). I'm trying to get it linked to my Alexa device.

I have the Smarthings app on my phone, and I've successfully added the TV to that app. I've enabled the Smartthings skill in my Alexa app. I've linked the skill to my Samsung account. But the skill will not discover the TV.

I previously added my Samsung refrigerator to SmartThings, and I can see the fridge in my Alexa app, so I know I did something right then. I've ensured that the phone and the TV are both connected to the same wireless network in the house.

And I have only one Samsung account, so it can't be that I've linked Alexa to the "wrong" Samsung account.

Can you think of anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Ken

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Hello Ken, Welcome to the Community. We understand the convenience of connecting all of your devices within the SmartThings app and with Alexa.

We have this article with more information for connecting the TV to Alexa: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087622/

We also found the following steps for connecting older TV's.

1. Set up your devices. First, make sure that both your Samsung TV and your Amazon Alexa device are set up and workings. Once you complete the initial setup on the TV and the Alexa device, you'll need to make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You also need to sign in to the Samsung account on the TV.

2. Prepare the apps. You'll also need to get your phone ready to coordinate these two devices. If you haven't yet, download both the Samsung SmartThings app and the Amazon Alexa app. Make sure that you log in to both apps with the same account information you used for your TV's Samsung account and your Echo's Amazon account.

3. Discover your TV in the SmartThings app. First, you'll need to discover your Samsung TV in the Samsung SmartThings app, which lets you treat it as a basic connected smart device when connecting it to your Alexa speaker. 

To do this, go to the Devices menu, found on the bottom menu of the app.

On the Devices page, select the Add Device option. With the TV powered on, it should be easy to find your device in the list. Once you've found the device and paired your phone to the TV, select the Samsung Smart TV and use the toggle button next to its name to enable its use as a smart device.

4. Discover your smart speaker in the Alexa app. Second, you'll need to be sure that your Amazon Echo, Echo Dot or other Amazon device has been discovered in the Amazon Alexa app.

5. Connect the apps. In the Amazon Alexa app, enable the Samsung SmartThings skill, and sign in with your Samsung account to link the accounts. 

6. Select your TV in the Alexa app. 

If these steps do not help, we recommend that you submit your query in our Smart Things forum, detailing what products are being utilized, including their model numbers, and what the general end objective is, so that our experts can investigate further. https://community.smartthings.com/  Additionally, you're welcome to contact the Smart Things Team at, 1-866-813-2404 or by email at support@smartthings.com.

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Hello Ken, Welcome to the Community. We understand the convenience of connecting all of your devices within the SmartThings app and with Alexa.

We have this article with more information for connecting the TV to Alexa: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087622/

We also found the following steps for connecting older TV's.

1. Set up your devices. First, make sure that both your Samsung TV and your Amazon Alexa device are set up and workings. Once you complete the initial setup on the TV and the Alexa device, you'll need to make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You also need to sign in to the Samsung account on the TV.

2. Prepare the apps. You'll also need to get your phone ready to coordinate these two devices. If you haven't yet, download both the Samsung SmartThings app and the Amazon Alexa app. Make sure that you log in to both apps with the same account information you used for your TV's Samsung account and your Echo's Amazon account.

3. Discover your TV in the SmartThings app. First, you'll need to discover your Samsung TV in the Samsung SmartThings app, which lets you treat it as a basic connected smart device when connecting it to your Alexa speaker. 

To do this, go to the Devices menu, found on the bottom menu of the app.

On the Devices page, select the Add Device option. With the TV powered on, it should be easy to find your device in the list. Once you've found the device and paired your phone to the TV, select the Samsung Smart TV and use the toggle button next to its name to enable its use as a smart device.

4. Discover your smart speaker in the Alexa app. Second, you'll need to be sure that your Amazon Echo, Echo Dot or other Amazon device has been discovered in the Amazon Alexa app.

5. Connect the apps. In the Amazon Alexa app, enable the Samsung SmartThings skill, and sign in with your Samsung account to link the accounts. 

6. Select your TV in the Alexa app. 

If these steps do not help, we recommend that you submit your query in our Smart Things forum, detailing what products are being utilized, including their model numbers, and what the general end objective is, so that our experts can investigate further. https://community.smartthings.com/  Additionally, you're welcome to contact the Smart Things Team at, 1-866-813-2404 or by email at support@smartthings.com.