Original topic:

S90C OLED Screen Saver coming on constantly

(Topic created: 10-16-2023 07:24 PM)
Close59956
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Just got this TV a couple days ago. Whenever I am watching over the air channels the screen saver comes on every few minutes. Sometimes it takes awhile for it to start happening, but when it starts it comes on every minute or two. Anybody know how to fix this issue??? I seen another post on the S95 having the same issue. I need to figure this out soon so I can take this thing back if I have to. 

50 Replies
Mikey75
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

New 65" S90C with this problem AFTER I TURNED ON CLOSED CAPTIONING. I called support, and the fella mumbled throughout how he'd never heard of this problem. He asked me to change the screen saver and couldn't believe me that there was no way to do so on this model! He tried to remotely access my tv and the connection lasted about a minute. (He's from Puerto Rico, I think.) Tried a type of Facetime with our phones and had it disconnect twice right away. 
The only thing left was a FACTORY RESET. So I did it, knowing the time to get everything up and running was a PITA. No luck. Screen saver keeps coming back about every two minutes. 
Tried unplugging, waiting a few minutes, then plugging back in, and it seemed to work for half an hour. Now it's back again.
I might try and return this tv and get a replacement, since there should be thousands here complaining but are instead very few. 
It's my first Sammy, but it might be my last! Very disappointed in such a pricey tv.

0 Likes
Close59956
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Have you tried turning off notifications in Chat app like mentioned earlier?

0 Likes
Mikey75
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

No. During set up I was offered the choice to do a phone app setup I know nothing about, and a web signup. I did the website one. I have no app on my phone from Samsung. Should I get it and then turn off notifications on it as you say?
I know this: I followed the directions to unplug and restart, the directions to do a complete reinstall, the directions to unplug-wait 3 mins., - press the remote power button for 30 seconds- plug in and turn on. NOTHING worked for long. As soon as I turn on CLOSED CAPTIONS, THAT DANG SCREENSAVER POPS UP EVERY TWO MINUTES.
I might try the usb thumb drive method mentioned earlier, as I have it downloaded.
If that doesn't allow Closed Captioning without triggering the screen saver I'll return the unit. My wife is legally deaf. I HAVE to have closed captioning.

UPDATE 2-14
Another tech call didn't produce squat mostly because of lack of communication skills. A call to Best Buy and their robot refused to chat with me, said to call Samsung. Second call to Samsung and they seemed to know me by now, as I got a person who could enunciate the words and communicate much better. Jonathan, who admitted knowing of this problem, said, because I had done a factory rest, etc. without luck, and there was NO repair tech in my area (coastal NC) he was going to authorize an exchange of tvs. 

0 Likes
wilmac291
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Dear #Samsung .  This is still a thing.  If it has been figured out, please steer us to the answer.  If not, fix it.

Zoo1
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I just got the 77 inch OLED Samsung two weeks ago and the screen saver keeps coming on.  There is no setting to turn off the screen saver.  How can you fix this?

0 Likes
Joetownbob2
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Our S90 OLED TV  has the same problem, however it only happens after 5:30pm CDT when we watch ABC.  We can watch all day, any channel with no problem.  I'm beginning to think there is something in the ABC broadcast (OTA) signal that causes it.

0 Likes
Joetownbob2
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

We're having the same problem when watching ABC TV.  We watch via antenna.  The strange thing is we can watch all then at 5:30pm CDT when ABC News comes on the TV jumps to the screen saver.  I push the OK button on the remote and the picture comes back for 3-4 minutes then jumps to the screen saver.  I'm wondering if it's something in ABC's broadcast signal given it only happens when watching ABC during this time peroiod.

0 Likes
Mikey75
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I bought my Samsung 65" model QN65390CAFXZA OLED tv from Best buy over a month ago. Because my wife is almost deaf (1 hearing aid, 1 hearing implant) we need Closed Captioning. Right away we learned IF we turned on CC the screen saver function kicked in every two minutes, even with a moving picture running on the tv. HOURS on the phone with customer care that simply couldn't speak English well and ADDED to our frustration, using iPhone Facetime to prove the tv had the screensaver problem (since my word wasn't sufficient,) unplugging/plugging in repeatedly, and completely replacing the software in our tv didn't help.  Once Closed Captioning was used the tv automatically reverted to Screen Saver mode every time. It could only be stopped by unplugging the tv for 30 seconds, then plugging back in AND NOT USING Closed Captioning again. 

This, of course, was not an option for us. Finally, I got a customer service person to OK giving us an exchange for the same tv at Best Buy. Multiple text messages later, Samsung said Best Buy was "not a Samsung affiliate" and they would instead issue me a check for my tv and come pick it up. By now I had done my research, found hundreds of folks here with the same problem, tried almost every "cure" for this problem, and decided I wanted a Sony instead. Two more weeks passed.
THEN, before signing the paperwork (that arrived over a month after reporting our problem for the tv) to pick it up, I decided to try Close Captioning one more time
SURPRISE! The problem had magically disappeared! I hadn't done a single thing to make that happen. So what had changed? The ONLY answer is Samsung updated their software to this tv without notifying me. Bam! Problem fixed.
Well, sort of....
Turns out now we have a NEW problem with our new Sammy: the SOUND OUTPUT AUTOMATICALLY CHANGES from the tv's speakers to the Samsung soundbar almost every time the tv is first turned on.
Yes, this is an easy TEMPORARY fix, but has to be done almost every time the tv is first turned on. 
I smell another stealth software update coming. Maybe I should have gotten the Sony.

0 Likes
LorenB
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

How frustrating - I had to retype this so it probably isn't as good this time because I don't have time to do it a second time! 

I think I have stopped the dreaded screen saver from coming on, albeit temporarily, because it came back as soon as I switched OTA channels but all I did to stop the screen saver non-sense is: 
- Press Home 
- Press Left to get to menu column 
- Press Down to get to Connected devices 
- Press Right until the source you are watching 
- Press Down to show edit/one item menu 
- Press back twice 
- Screen saver will not come one until you change a channel/source (at least so far for me) 

This is not a permanent fix, clearly, but it's easy to do (but you/I shouldn't have to) and makes a little better. 

0 Likes
HikeMiked
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

This issue is still happening.  Deleting the Chat Together app every time you turn on the tv is not a solution. Why it gets reinstalled if itā€™s been deleted is a problem. Let the consumer control their own tv! Fine if you want to pre install it. But when the customer deletes it, donā€™t override their actions!

npI never had such issues from a television. Should have saved money and bought a cheaper tv with better software!

0 Likes