JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Feature request: Add period button on Writing toolbar (S Pen)

(Topic created: 02-21-2023 10:20 AM)
sparq0
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

When using the S Pen to text feature, it's almost impossible to make just a period (.) whether it's at the end of a sentence or in a web address. To insert a period, you need to write a period at the end of a word (e.g. 'hello.').

Samsung, here are my feature requests:

1. Add a period button to the Writing toolbar.

VideoCapture_20230217-101213.jpg

2. Develop an intuitive way to write just a period using the S Pen.

I've only been successful in writing a period using the S Pen about 2 times out of 10. I've tried everything - short/long presses, big/small periods, pressing hard/soft, making a very small 'o' - but nothing seems to work consistently.

I know that a single tap by the S Pen is used to place the cursor, and holding the S Pen at the same spot for a second brings up the menu with paste/copy options. However, there must be a way to write just a period using the S Pen.

If you find this feature request meaningful, please click the 'like' button to show your support.

My phone: Galaxy S23 Ultra

7 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@sparq0 I just tried adding a dot and didn't have any problem in the text entry area. 

If you do have difficulty doing it, you can click in the text entry area with the S Pen and it will open a scratch pad area with a handy period key. 

Screenshot_20230217_153556_Messages.jpg

sparq0
Asteroid
Options

Thank you LongHiker for your reply.

Yes using the scratch pad it works perfectly.

I suspect this is the reason it doesn't work when drawing/writing directly in the text field (or in Samsung Notes):

"I know that a single tap by the S Pen is used to place the cursor, and holding the S Pen at the same spot for a second brings up the menu with paste/copy options."

To make this work, Samsung could consider assigning double-tap with a period, or recognizing when a user writes a very small 'o' or draws a slightly larger period. Another possibility is to allow users to tap on the white space in a text field that is already in focus to insert a period, instead of the current function of placing the cursor, where it is already positioned (which is meaningless).

Samsung should come up with ideas and conduct tests to determine the best approach for inserting a period with the S Pen. In the meantime, they could add a period button to the Writing toolbar.

LongHiker
Options

@sparq0 "or recognizing when user writes a very small 'o' "

To be clear, this works for me. The circle is extremely small and probably more like slightly spinning the S Pen in place.

sparq0
Asteroid
Options

Thank you for letting me know. Just to clarify, are you saying that the spinning the S Pen works in the text field or only in the scratchpad?

I have tried slightly spinning the S Pen in the scratchpad and it works ok for me, but I haven't been able to get it to work consistently in the address bar.

LongHiker
Options

@sparq0 "Just to clarify, are you saying that the spinning the S Pen works in the text field or only in the scratchpad?"

Text field. I haven't tried in the scratchpad. 

sparq0
Asteroid
Options

Your technique must be better than mine then 😊

Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options

Thank you sparq0,  for your interest in sharing your idea with Samsung. We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.