Original topic:

Samsung Apps Slowly Going Away

(Topic created: Monday)
Timlwest
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Samsung Apps, we've seen this before. First, you take things away that we barely notice. Then, we notice your favorite coffee mug is no longer on the kitchen counter. Until finally, your toothbrush is no longer in the bathroom. Without so much as a Dear John letter. We heard rumors and whispers, but shrugged it off. First, Video Player was quietly hidden. Then, once you get the 6.1.1 update, you get notifications to "Upgrade" to Google Messages. It seems as if Samsung is slowly getting out of the Apps game. SobI guess I'll start checking out the Google app more now. 😫😪

7 Replies
shortstuff9999
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Really I didn't get this. I still use samsung messages!! Maybe bc I didn't receive update yet but if that's the case I may not update 😩
WhiteShack
Cosmic Ray
Options
Well Google owns android, and these phones run on Android. All these companies do is provide UI updates and put a few of their own apps in sometimes. And when not many ppl use their apps they cut funding to keep updating it. It's business, which means money, as usual.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options

Samsung is in the hardware business, not the software business.  Instead of creating and maintaining their own apps these days, they are concentrating on the user  interface and hardware upgrades.  It's much easier to let software companies concentrate on the apps while they concentrate on the devices. The only reason you have mail and messages and some other things is a holdover from the early days when smart phones were born and each company had to make their own apps to work with their own hardware.  They left vestiges of those apps through all the updates because they were popular and it didn't take much extra work to integrate them into the UI or into the Android structure. Now that things are changing within Android, keeping those apps current takes focus away from the UI customizations that Samsung users have come to expect.

0 Likes
Timlwest
Cosmic Ray
Options
Yes, I understand that their efforts are better spent focusing on the hardware and UI, but you have to admit, they did pretty well with their apps. We'll get used to Google's apps and some of the others out there as we use them more.I guess I was just one of the few who actually used and liked the Samsung Apps. I'll be ok. The emotions are just raw right now.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options

I've never used Samsung apps. Anytime I did, I just hated them.  I've always used Google apps. Google keyboard, Google Messages, third party mail apps.

Timlwest
Cosmic Ray
Options
Ok, I see what you're saying now. The Google apps are pretty good. I should have given them a shot long before now.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
People tend to prefer what they started with and got used to.
0 Likes