Original topic:

Samsung Mesaages

(Topic created: Friday)
Timlwest
Cosmic Ray
Options
Is it true that the Samsung Messages app is going to be phased out? Rumor has it that people with older phones are getting prompts to switch. If that is the case does anyone know when the final date is?

Thanks,

6 Replies
KnightRiderRalph
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

It's not going away completely; you'll still be able to download it from the Galaxy Store if you prefer to use it over Google Messages

meself
Black Hole
Options
There trying to get users switched over to Google messages maybe not correct term but new phones will not have Samsung messages
DD7227
Halo
Options
New phones will no longer have it installed. Yes, they are adopting google messages as the main messaging app. The functionality is basically the same but I will say there are a few things I do enjoy that just work better on Google messages. I switched 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
polymatrix
Cosmic Ray
Options

From what I can see reported online, Samsung Messages isn't officially *fully* deprecated yet. However, some features are deprecated & Google Messages is the preferred messaging app going forward. Given the shifting mobile-messaging landscape in North America - with other vendors standardizing RCS - it probably makes the most sense to start making your change over as quick as you can manage. I've not been able to find a specific date, other than that a "two year transition" was announced with the Galaxy S22 announcement.

Options
Well, this stinks. I use as few Google applications as possible. Oh, and no rumor -- I came here today because I got that message.
Timlwest
Cosmic Ray
Options
I received the 6.1.1 upgrade this morning and started being prompted to upgrade to Google Messages. I'll go ahead and make the switch even though Samsung Messages is much better, in my opinion.
0 Likes