Original topic:

Smart Switch failed or ?

(Topic created: 11-09-2023 05:52 PM)
Mike75338
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I just got a new  Galaxy S23 plus. Smart Switch took about 2 hours to copy from my A53 5G. Now I turn on the S23 plus, and I find that none of my apps were copied, none of my settings were copied. I don't know what it did for all that time, maybe copy photos and audio, but I thought it would do more. Is this normal? Is there a work-around?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@Mike75338 Smart switch allows you to choose the items that you want to backup. Did you ensure that the items that you want backed up were selected? 

I've noticed when moving to my latest device that apps themselves typically weren't copied over by Smart switch, only their settings. Smart switch (and your Google account) use the list of apps and then download and install the latest versions from the appropriate store. This means that initially your phone doesn't have all the apps but in the background the apps are being downloaded and installed. 

View solution in context

5 Replies
Mike75338
Cosmic Ray
Options

It seems that Smart Switch might have been "working on it," though that was not at all obvious from the prompt that said "Done." But now the apps and settings are available and it seems to have worked much better than I thought. I'll still be happy to get any tips for optimal operation of Smart Switch.

0 Likes
JesseGalaxyA14
Cosmic Ray
Options
Just go to a store and they will show you exactly what to do real fast.
Simple is that
0 Likes
neilth
Red Giant
Options
You can probably find some guidance if you search for Samsung Smart Switch on YouTube.
Solution
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@Mike75338 Smart switch allows you to choose the items that you want to backup. Did you ensure that the items that you want backed up were selected? 

I've noticed when moving to my latest device that apps themselves typically weren't copied over by Smart switch, only their settings. Smart switch (and your Google account) use the list of apps and then download and install the latest versions from the appropriate store. This means that initially your phone doesn't have all the apps but in the background the apps are being downloaded and installed. 

Mike75338
Cosmic Ray
Options

Yes, @LongHiker , that's exactly what was going on . . . the apps were being installed in the background. Then they suddenly all appeared. A relief!

There is little I like less than setting up a new phone or computer manually, so I'm very happy that Smart Switch did most of the work.