Original topic:

A8 SD Card ?Useless?

(Topic created: 06-30-2024 10:20 AM)
wjbmd48
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Hi:

I'm the proud owner of a 32 GB A8 tablet. Love it, runs my magazines much better than my iPad.

BUT, I can see that I'll run out of memory soon enough. I've got a 32 GB SD card installed, but none of the apps that use memory (NYTimes, Economist, Spotify, etc) allow for storage of files on the SD card, and you can't format the SD as internal.

If there's no way around this, I'll pretty soon have a maxed out device with a useless SD card.

Am I missing something?

0 Likes
9 Replies
Solution
SammyNerd83
Comet
Options
Tablets
Unfortunately, you cannot use a Micro SD card for anything other than pictures, videos, music, and documents. Sometimes, with a little technical knowledge and some finagling, you can put part of an app, but not the entire app, onto the SD card. However, this will break the app if you remove the SD card. My strong suggestion is to upgrade the tablet to a 64 GB or 128 GB tablet. In fact to be completely honest I cannot believe that Samsung is still releasing anything lower than a 128 GB capable device.
wjbmd48
Constellation
Options
Tablets

OK, too bad, thanks for the reply.  The main reason I bought the tablet was because none of the magazines I subscribe to function at all well on my iPad, and neither my iPads nor my Pixel phones play all that well with my TV's Chromecast. The A8 does all these things beautifully and the price was right (turns out for a good reason!), so I'll get by by not overloading it with apps and periodically flushing the apps' storages.

Greatly appreciated!

SammyNerd83
Comet
Options
Tablets
When I replied, click the three dots, and you should be able to click "Accept Solution."

Basically, the comment I made that is the solution you are accepting, click the three dots just to the right of the name.
0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Comet
Options
Tablets
Exactly 100%
0 Likes
Yope4060
Constellation
Options
Tablets

How could you download half on the SD card? I've been coding for a bit so I know a bit of technical stuff 

0 Likes
SammyNerd83
Comet
Options
Tablets
If that works for you then please click the three dots above my post, and click accept solution.
0 Likes
usssera
Red Giant
Options
Tablets
I thought SD cards enhance tablets to make them run faster and more efficient. I personally would use the tablet you have. If you stream songs on Spotify or download you would have an allotment of about 12,600 songs of they were 5mb each. I think... can't you use the web to read the articles for NY times? Sorry, I don't know much about tablets but was looking at the Alpha model like you have, and it seems like a good tablet.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@usssera "I thought SD cards enhance tablets to make them run faster and more efficient."

No, the SD cards just provide external storage. 

bill-e
Cosmic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

" but none of the apps that use memory (NYTimes, Economist, Spotify, etc) allow for storage of files on the SD card" 

Send bug reports/feature requests to each of the app developers.  A few versions ago Google changed the way SD cards were accessed for privacy/ Security reasons.  There are simple code changes the developers can make to enable this.  If they refuse then they, the app developers, don't want their app to have that feature. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 6 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch7Ultra(VZW),Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV, Buds Pro
0 Likes