JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Tab A 8inch SM-T290 Cannot move apps to SD card

(Topic created: 02-12-2020 02:43 AM)
userIv6GHwN99R
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have a brand new Tab A 8inch.   I am very familiar with Samsung since I have phone and 10 inch tablet.   I have bought a 64Gb micro SD card.   It is seen by the tablet.   However I am unable to move apps to the card.   I looked at an app that shows as moveable on my phone but on the tablet there is no option under storage to move to external storage

The tablet has Android 9

Is there something that has to be done to enable moving apps to the sd card?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
60 Replies
userh15MEMvctP
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have had no problem in moving apps on my Tab A 7.0 just on my tab A 8.0 2019.

maccat32
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Sadly this option is no longer present, that is the problem. 

0 Likes
userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

So far I have worked my way up to three different supervisors, and two different problem tickets have been escalated to their Case Manager and Expert Help De[artment. All of the people who answered the phone at  Samsung said that this SHOULD be possible, and that something is wrong. (This is what they are telling their service people). If it is simply no longer available  the people on the front lines are sure NOT aware of it.

HOWEVER, I think you are probably correct. Might I ask where you  got this information?  

It isn't just the usual case of the off-shore call centers being uninformed. I have gotten this same information also from people in South Carolina, Florida, and I think Arizona.

Also, could it be possible that there is some permission that needs to be granted somewhere?

Thanks

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@userWbsyBZ9oNP 

Did you try to go to Developer Options and turn on "Force allow apps on External".?

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Yes, and it didn't help either. I just checked again and it is still enabled.

It was quite an experience when I enabled "Developer Options". I couldn't believe all of the limitless possibilities that one has to screw things up via "Developer Options". Fortunately I was very careful and I didn't do any damage.

Thanks

userfaQ5iES9XZ
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I don't know if this will help you, (I don't have your model) but I use an app called "Appmgr III" (in other words "app manager 3") by Sam Lu. Once you give all the permissions, it not only let's you know which apps can be moved to the sd card, but will do it for you when you tell it to. It works good for me. Hope that helps! 🙂

0 Likes
userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

I have used ApMgr III for years on my phone and I love it. I have tried to use it also on my new TabA tablet and ApMgr III runs into the same dead end that you run into when you try you move Apps the conventional way via settings/apps etc. You get to the "storage" screen and there is supposed to be a "change" or possibly a "move" button (like there is on my phone) and it just isn't there. The only option buttons you have on that "storage" screen are to clear the cache and clear the data.

Your thought about permissions is a good one. I wonder if I have to set up a permission somewhere? If so, which one and where?

Thanks

0 Likes
Jeff3316
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Greetings - 

I'd like to revive this old thread.

I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) from Costco, and have encoutered this exact same problem on day 1.  Super disappointing.   

Only 16 GB of internal memory and it does not allow me to transfer apps to the "included" SD card.

My 2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab A allows this option just fine.  

Very dissappointing....

Does anybody have further information?

thank you,

@maccat32 

@userWbsyBZ9oNP 

@user6qA5Ki7yol 

@bill-e

@Bill 

@User1593 

userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Hi;

I was the originator of this discussion way back in the Spring of 2020. The problem is still there. I kept hoping that it would go away with one of the several updates and bug fixes, but it didn't. The OS has been upgraded to Android 10 from Android 9 and as mentioned, the problem is still there.

Please, HAS ANYONE ELSE WHO OWNS an 8" TabA FOUND A SOLUTION to this problem (or been sucessful in moving apps to the sd card)? Fairly soon I will be running low on storage and it will become essential to be able to move some apps to the sd card to free up space.

Thanks, 

0 Likes
userwh247ncSGi
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

It worked.  Do I have to move them back and forth or will they work from the SD card. Thank you.

0 Likes