JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Sam. Galaxy Tab A is too full to accept updates.

(Topic created: 11-25-2021 07:56 PM)
usergf6UhV1Sgv
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I only have about half a GB of applications installed, and they show in the appropriate 16GB of internal memory (not my 32GB mSD) file types, but 15GB of stupidly titled "Other" is, for no apparent reason, and uncontrollably, using up most of my Internal storage.  I uninstalled several of my less used apps, and my calendar started to sync again. 

I suspect that many of these Android apps stupidly (for proprietary reasons?) store all their (my) user data internally (rather than in files that can be kept on an mSD chip).  This makes it wasteful & harder to manage my internal storage, and harder to off-load the archive parts of my user data for those apps.

Does anyone know if this is true, or what to do about it?

2 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets
SD cards are only intended to store photos, videos, and documents, etc. All the rest is stored on the internal memory. Try cleaning up your internal memory using Device Care and moving all your photos, videos, et al to the SD card.

Don't forget to backup your files too.

Alternatively, you could back everything up, do a factory reset, then do the update, then reinstall your stuff.
0 Likes
Solution
usergf6UhV1Sgv
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

DanG92263, Thanks for responding, but I've already done all of that except the daunting task of resetting & trying to rebuild all the apps & their settings and data.
Apparently the OS (Dev.Care) are not competent to report the actual usage of the installed apps & their setting & user data. I did get some reprieve by temporarily disabling & clearing obviously transient cache data for several of my less frequently used apps. I was able to reduce the mysterious "Other" usage by another GB (to 1.4GB but reported only as 200MB of free app storage). That was enough to allow syncs & updates to work.
I suspect this bit of knowledge would have been helpful weeks ago when I first started banging my head against this probably common but opaque/obscured problem. It seems like a serious OS reporting problem and Android apps design, that prevents better identification, allocation, & positioning of user data sets for those apps.