JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ Stuck on Setup in Progress Checking for Updates

(Topic created: 05-27-2022 10:59 PM)
KevinPurcell
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I just bought a brand new Tab S8+. On my first attempt to set it up I get a message in notifications saying "setup in progress" and when I tap it I get a screen that says Checking for updates... this may take a few minutes" The little blue dots rotate in a circle and then stop. It stays like this forever. Nothing. Everything seems to finish. I have no updates in Galaxy Store or Google Play Store. All is finished, but that message still shows up.

I've restarted, Set up after factory reset, and still, it happens.

Any ideas? I've searched for solutions and tried a few but they don't work and all seem to be for older phones. When I limited Google search for the last 6 months and then last year I get very little.

10 Replies
Who_Dis
Neutron Star
Options
Tablets

maybe poor server/network connection???

boot to recovery mode and do a factory reset. 

otherwise you could visit authorized repair center for checkup on if it's a hardware issue 😕

0 Likes
user4vZaO7ioxQ
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Same problem here.  Nothing I do will make the notification go away.  If I try to follow through with it, and copy data from another device, it just locks up the app.  If I select  "Don't copy" it also locks up the app.  And you don't have the option to disable notifications for the app or delete the app.  I'm about five minutes from returning this thing. 

useryuA8F94lVu
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have that same issue. I have factory reset it and tried the setup adding my Google and Samsung accounts and without doing that and when its done either way, that notification is still up there saying set up in progress, tap to continue and when I do, it goes back to the same issue you mentioned verbatim. 

userilIlQVzRbV
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Is there any verified fix for this issue from Samsung? Can we safely wait for a fix?

userSTO75ONK3o
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

Hi,

I also bought a Tab S8 and am having the same problem.

Everything seems to be finished yet I still have the notification that setup is still in progress.

when i click on it, it just gets stuck.

Anz help from Samsung would be appreciated. It is annoying.

The Total Legend
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Read my last reply for a potential fix.

0 Likes
userVIBUdunyvy
Astronaut
Options
Tablets

I'm seeing the same issue.  Exactly as described above by other users (notification doesn't go away despite setup being complete; tapping on notification starts the setup process which invariably deletes by google account and the app freezes).

I purchased by Tab S8 (SM-X700) yesterday and this has been an issue since the first time I setup the device.  A factory reset did not help.  The issues still persists. 

0 Likes
The Total Legend
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I have the exact same issue you are describing here. I just bought the S8+ a few days ago and it started off this way.

Did factory reset and it didn't help at all. It just locks up on this screen, and sometimes locks up the entire tablet with the only way to resume using the tablet is by forcing it to turn off.

It also does then when trying to log into Google. This tablet doesn't seem to want to remember I am logged in.

It's incredibly frustrating.

0 Likes
Solution
The Total Legend
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I finally solved the issue with this which I can confirm worked for me:

1. Factory reset the tablet, wipe everything.
  2. Skip all of the setup screens when it reboots (including skipping WiFi), just boot to the Home Screen cleanly.
  3. For good measure, I rebooted once it hit the Home Screen after skipping setup, but it may not be required.
  4. Add a WiFi connection.
  5. Let it do the setup process on its own, you will get the Notification about it like usual.
  6. Once it finishes its pre-setup, enter that Setup Screen and let it run.
  7. It may look like it will stall again and lock up, but it'll last a few seconds before it goes to the Google Sign In screen.
  8. Go ahead and Sign In to Google.
  9. After a successful Google Sign In, it should all work. For me, I no longer see the Galaxy Setup notification, and the tablet has been fine ever since.

I realized I encountered this problem before when setting up old rooted phones with custom roms.

For some reason, going through the initial setup after installing a new rom created this problem where it will not remember I am signed into Google, so when it comes to setting it up -- which required Signing In to Google -- it never could complete the setup and then it locked up or crashed.

When skipping the initial setup, and doing everything from the Home Screen, it all works fine. I don't think it's a hardware problem or Samsung's software, but an issue with Android Signing In to Google.

Hope this helps. It all worked for me.