Original topic:

Should I root my Tab A7?

(Topic created: Sunday)
gnome735
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I want to root my tablet or install a custom ROM on it. I have a few reasons for it:

Better performance
Better security
More features

More specifically:
I don't want to have to turn on power saving mode to have reasonable speed on my tablet.
I want to have better gaming performance since that is what I use this tablet for.

Should I do it? I don't really know if Knox will be necessary for my use case. I don't know if the resale value of my tablet will go down if I trip Knox, so responses are appreciated!
10 Replies
Your_mom_is_Gay
Constellation
Options
Tablets
You can if you want too! Do What you want to do
0 Likes
BunnyPad
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Well, you first need 'developer options' enabled. After you enable that, check for "oem unlocking". If that's there, you're in luck, because you can root/cROM the tablet. If it's not there, then you've hit a deadstop, because bootloader unlocking is required for custom romming.
0 Likes
gnome735
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
It is here!1722185749026_1722185748994_0.jpg
0 Likes
BunnyPad
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Two things that should be noted:
- Unlocking the bootloader will erase all the data on your tab, including all the data that's on the internal storage. So, make sure that you have taken a complete backup of all your important data.
- Flashing a custom binary (such as a Magisk-patched TAR will trip the KNOX counter. Your device's official warranty will be void once KNOX is tripped.

I can provide you the XDA Forums link but ONLY IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE you want to continue with rooting the tablet.
0 Likes
gnome735
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Before I continue, I want a few questions answered:
1. Is there any way to go back to stock firmware in case I need to give away my tablet?
2. Does rooting also trip Knox?
0 Likes
BunnyPad
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Rooting trips knox, yes.
And there is a way to return to near-stock but you'll never restore knox without replacing the board.
0 Likes
gnome735
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
My tablet is already more than 2 years old, so warranty isn't an issue, and I'm pretty sure knox won't matter if this tablet is used for entertainment. Thanks for the help!
0 Likes
BunnyPad
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-sm-t500-t505-galaxy-tab-a7-10-4-unlock-bootloader-root-with-magisk.418...

These guys are great for Android support and I often look here when I can't find a solution to issues with any of my phones.
0 Likes
gnome735
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
Does knox affect face recognition?
0 Likes