JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Simultaneous Wi-Fi and Mobile Data using Android 11

(Topic created: 10-26-2021 03:08 PM)
Members_3fuxHV2
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I want to use the Wi-Fi and Mobile Data (cellular) interfaces simultaneously on my Android 11 Galaxy Tab S7 5G device. The setting "Mobile data always active" does indeed allow fast interface-changeover. However, both interfaces are never data-accessible simultaneously. Using a third-party channel-bonding VPN service, called Speedify, this is possible on this Galaxy Tab S7 5G tablet. Also, a Google Pixel running Android 11 is also able to use both interfaces simultaneously, without any third-party utility help. How can I use both interfaces on a Galaxy Tab S7 5G without using Speedify (not possible because of security and business reasons)?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
16 Replies
VuULF
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

This article gives some good clues and may be adaptable to your situation, but without knowing the entire scope of what you're working with (I don't expect that to be answered on a public venue lol) it's difficult to say. Still, if you look at this article and think outside of the box a bit you'll probably come up with something useful. It's an older article and deals with pure bonding, but rules are reasonably easy to set up to direct traffic. The primary thing to focus on is getting your connections together and worry about the data routing later. When you have a working bond set up, that becomes more or less trivial with filtering. <LINK HIDDEN>

0 Likes
Members_3fuxHV2
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

VuULF, Thanks for the article. I did implement OpenVPN on the Android leveraging OpenVPN Cloud.  While using OpenVPN, with Mobile Data (Cellular) connected and Wi-Fi disconnected, if I then start a Wi-Fi connection, the data on the Mobile Data will just shut off after 7 seconds, or so.  Likewise, if Wi-Fi connected first, then Mobile Data attached, the Wi-Fi connection will shut off, after 7 seconds or so. What mechanism exists in the Samsung Tablets OS code that shuts either stream off after a few seconds?  (Note that I don't think this is necessarily a part of Android 11 in that the Google Pixel running Android 11 does not do this.) Is there a log I can access through the adb terminal that will perhaps let me know what is shutting off the previously joined stream? 

0 Likes
VuULF
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Do you have Mobile Data Always Active selected in developer options? Screenshot_20211030-121909_Settings_3634.jpg
0 Likes
Members_3fuxHV2
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Yes. However, this setting merely allows quicker switchover from Wi-Fi to Mobile Data. Sadly, it does not allow simultaneous data flow on both interfaces. One other data point, Garmin's ActiveCaptain app somehow allows simultaneous Wi-Fi and Mobile data connections and data flow. As discussed, Speedify also allows this type of operation. Any further ideas?

0 Likes
VuULF
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Speedify requires the VPN connection to create the bond, my guess with Garmin is it's fast switching between. You'd do well to post on the Droid forums, Id suggest one here but they'd flag my post again 🤣
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Tablets
What's the reason?
0 Likes
Members_3fuxHV2
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I need to simultaneously read a low data rate video stream over Wi-Fi and relay that feed over cellular to a cloud server, using my Android 11 Galaxy Tab, without using (for security and business reasons) the following solutions that do in fact work :

• Speedify (a channel-bonding subscription solution using VPN)
  • Google Pixel running Android 11
  • Any iOS device