Original topic:

Tab S7+ T-Mobile 5G - Where is the "Phone App"

(Topic created: 06-28-2021 04:55 PM)
user63uuZAH2Qo
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Hello,

Recently purchased Tab S7+ T-mobile variant. I noticed there is no "Phone" app on the tablet. I would like to use the phone app simply to check data remaining for the month using T-mobiles #WEB# short code. I can see the app is installed on the tablet by going to Settings>Apps, however I am unable to locate it in the app drawer. Also, the phone app in the Galaxy store shows "installed" but there is no "open" option. I attempted to side load the apk but it failed, then I tried Google Phone apk which installed successfully. The problem is Google phone only works when you set it as default phone app, but there is no default phone option in Settings>Apps>Choose default apps, here is a screenshot.

So my question, is something wrong with my device, or is this intentional? I asked on reddit and a few users reported they do have the phone app on there tabs,but they had the WiFi variant. I also found other posts with same problem as me but with no solutions. Also, if others have the t mobile tab s7+, can you confirm whether or not you have the phone app? Much appreciated.

6 Replies
SamFC
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I only have the messages app on my T-Mobile variant
0 Likes
Cre13
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
I will tell you that I spent all day trying to solve this very same issue, only I have the Verizon variant! What's odd is I also have exactly what you had mentioned regarding the Wi-Fi variant! I have this exact same s7 plus in a Wi-Fi variant that does in fact have the phone app on my home screen as well as the Messages App, however my S7 Plus 5G Verizon variant, does not! I sure wish someone could shed some light on why this is! Only thing I can figure is, it must be until I actually register my tablet with Verizon, the phone app on my homepage will remain elusive!
0 Likes
user63uuZAH2Qo
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I was able to get answers after posting my question. It turns out, at least in my case, that the phone app is blocked by T-mobile because they want users to use their own "T-mobile Digits" app which reroutes your calls and messages from your smartphone to the tablet. I believe that why the wifi variants have the phone app because they cannot get a service on it and therefore they cannot block it. I'm assuming Verizon is doing a similar, you just need to figure out what their alternative is.
Cre13
Astronaut
Options
Tablets
Interesting!!!!..... so I'm assuming, (if I understand you correctly), is that once I finally do register my tablet with Verizon, the phone app will be unlocked and transfered to my home screen, or perhaps a suggested alternative by Verizon?... well I can certainly appreciate T-Mobile wanting to use their own digits app but there seems to be an element that I'm missing here. You still need a dial pad to answer your phone, so the fact that my tablet is downloaded with the exact same "phone app" as my Verizon handheld cellular, I'm just not quite understanding the purpose of having the app locked!........Well, I just received the tablet yesterday, so I do plan on taking it down to Verizon one day this week and registering on a data plan.... this is my first 5G data tablet so I'm kind of new to this. I'm curious as to what they have to say!.... Thank you so much for shedding some light on this problem!..... I'll check back in in about a week and keep you guys posted as to how I make out! Thanks again!
0 Likes
Solution
user63uuZAH2Qo
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Actually, The phone app did not appear. I had to download the digits app from the playstore and login using my t-mobile credentials (phone # and pass). After which, my phone calls and messages were forwarded to my tablet, but still recieved them on my phone as well. Inside the t-mobile digits app is a dialer and a messaging section, I'm assuming Verizon has a similar app which is probably why they block the default phone app, to force users to use their apps.

Edit: I got curious, it appears Verizon calls their app Messages+, I found more info here

Samarvel26
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets
Thanks it worked for me
0 Likes