JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to Turn off auto-detect HDMI

(Topic created: 02-12-2021 04:55 AM)
CNMark
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

How do you turn off the auto-detect HDMI feature? Sometimes my Apple TV comes on and then the TV automatically turns on as well but I don't want the TV to do so. How do you turn off this feature?

Thanks,

Mark

536 Replies
Samsung_a08WVi2
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

YESSS That worked for me after all this time finally a solution! The volume up down mute thing you said worked. I have the 2019 Samsung Q60R 43"

0 Likes
userApfxtvVGHt
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This did not work for and I an unsure about the instructions. Why would you have to turn off mute afterwards? Surely the first press of mute tuns off the volume, the second press turns it back on? That's how it goes for me, but does not work in any case.

Anyway I have been in touch with Samsung’s CEO office about this (and countless other problems with my new TV!).

For anyone hoping for any resolution from Samsung it is not coming and that is official. The HDMI Auto Detect feature works exactly how they intend, and they will not be changing it.
If you connect a device, then remove it and add it again later, it will not save the settings and will go through the autodetect again. This is intended by design and will not be changed.

The only thing they will change (as if they really will), is it detecting the wrong device (my Firestick 4K's are always detected as Apple TVs). Now their spammy software keeps telling me all the awesome things they have for my Apple TV.

You are also using your TVs incorrectly. Samsung's words not mine.
New Samsung TVs are designed to have an HDMI device connected once and then left connected. You should not remove it and connect it again. LEAVE IT CONNECTED ALL THE TIME.
So if you connect a camera, computer, Firestick etc DO NOT REMOVE IT. EVER.

Of course when I asked them for written details of this they could not provide them. I guess they forgot to include this *feature* in the user guide.
I have more than 1 Firestick as all my apps will not fit on one of them, So I use 3 of them. So now I am not allowed by Samsung to connect more than 1 of them to the TV. All HDMI are in use and I am not allowed to remove devices from them. Not sure what to do with the other 2. Guess I best sell them.

They also told me that all the features on my Firesticks are on their TVs and my Firesticks are not needed. A huge joke on their part. I doubt they even have 300 apps in their store as to the many thousands in the Amazon store (plus 10's of thousands that can be side-loaded).

They also told me that if you press the return key once it will stop the HDMI autodetect feature.

Not on mine it does not. It stops it after a few seconds and a few seconds later comes back for another try. Sometimes it has 3 goes. Anyway they are adamant one press will stop it, so I have initiated a repair under warranty (which they declined even though it does not work how they state it should).

Here are their words (exact copy and paste):

"The HDMI Auto detect and Universal Guide features regrettably cannot be changed or removed.
HDMI Auto detect and Universal Guide are features that will not be changed.
Our position with regard to your television will remain that of technical advice and repair where necessary. I am sorry that it is not possible to remove the features as requested.
The removal of this content is not possible for us to complete. I am sorry that we cannot provide an outcome more in line with your expectations.
We do however wish to highlight that HDMI Auto Detect is initiated, pressing the “Return” key once will stop it.
When the Auto Detect feature starts, as explained this can be stopped immediately by pressing the return key on the remote control.
All features offered on the Firestick would be on the Smart Hub of the television already, and so may not be required?
With regard to your television, our AV team have advised that this was not built for repeatedly connecting and disconnecting multiple FireSticks.
In line with our confirmation on the television ports above, these products are not made for repeated connection and disconnection.
The team acknowledge your concern that the FireStick has been misidentified, this can occasionally occur and has been taken under review for correction via software update in the future if this is affecting a number of customers.”
When I explained to them the Firestick has much more software available than there is on their TVs they responded:
" As before, if these are not on the Smart Hub you can of course use the FireStick for any additional apps, but this would be purely to connect the FireStick and leave this in the USB port on the television so you can decide which to use. "
(not sure why they said as before as this is the first and only time they admitted this).

So they don't know the difference between HDMI and USB and again told me I have to leave it connected.
Nice that they can order me how I should use My TV.

To finish:
"From the information provided, our AV team have advised that this would not benefit from an engineer visit."
So it does not work how it is supposed to and how Samsung have told me multiple times it should work, but they wont fix it under warranty. They won't even take a look.

Does one press of your Return key stop the auto-detect feature for you? Anyone?

0 Likes
Solution
userOkfAmZ3wXP
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01111222/#turn-off-automatic-hdmi-switching-wi...

The above was for "smart" remote that connects via bluetooth to TV. 

This link has info for IR remote. 

RKCRLR
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

So I don't have to read all 53 pages, was there ever a solution established to prevent the Samsung TV from sending a command to the receiver to switch from whatever input it is on to the TV input?  

I purchased UN65JS8500 in 2015.  Whenever I turned the TV on it would send a command to my Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver to switch to the TV input after about 15 seconds if Anynet+ was turned on.  What was really frustrating is I also purchased a Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray player.  You would think a Samsung TV and Blu-Ray player would be compatible.  The TV would still send the signal to my receiver to switch inputs when it was turned on.  Additionally, It would send the switch input command whenever I hit Pause/Play on the Blu-Ray player.  Samsung's solution was to connect the Blu-Ray player to the TV Smart Hub.  But then there is no way to get Hi-Def audio out of the Blu-Ray player over ARC.  The player has a second HDMI port for audio but it doesn't do any good if the receiver is switched to the TV input.  

In frustration I gave up on HDMI-CEC and purchased a universal remote control to get around the issue.  I was hoping that there would eventually be a solution.  I know some receivers have an option to ignore the input switch command from the TV but my receiver never added that in a firmware upgrade.  

Well, my universal remote has been dropped one to many times and is on it's last legs.  So, before I go out and buy another one (my remote is now obsolete so I'll have a learning/training curve ahead of me) I'd like to see if there is anothe alternative.  

It's now almost 2021.  Has this issue been addressed for my TV yet?  I also hve a streaming box connected to my receiver that supports CEC but have never turned on CEC. 

Do I have any hope of using HDMI-CEC with my system or do I need to buy another IR universal remote?  

0 Likes
userooqADpmgOI
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Brand new TV, Q90T bought in the fall 2020 and same story as listed here.

In short, this is a Samsung "feature". Sometimes when you try to make things "easy", it ends up doing the opposite. Samsung clearly assumes that, when a connected device is turned on, you automatically want to start using that device. It also assumes that when you turn on your TV that you want all of your attached devices to also be turned on. And then Samsung assumes that you leave everything on all the time, and that your default to the last used device. It saves having to click multiple buttons.

Is this actually desirable for anyone? Maybe, but not me.

I am done trying to fight with Samsung to add granular control for auto-detection, it won't happen;  I have created a workaround which, I hope, helps other folks.

My setup is complex but not crazily so:

* Samsung Q90T TV

* Sonos Arc Sound Bar plugged into HDMI output

* HDMI input 1 has 3 devices on an HDMI switch: Xfinity set top box, Apple TV box and Sony Blu-Ray Player

* Avantree Bluetooth transmitter plugged into TV Optical output - To be able to watch TV with my wife using headphones "after hours" when the kids are asleep. Having a direct Bluetooth connection to the TV does not support 2 headphones simultaneously, but the Avantree transmitter does.

Now, you can imagine that having these 3 different input devices and 2 different sound output devices turn on and off automatically causes major frustration with auto detection switching the input and output without my control (the absolute worst being switching from headphones to the Sonos Arc automatically and waking up the kids...). It is not crazy for Samsung to think thatI would much rather use the Sonos Arc instead of a $50 dingy Bluetooth transmitter but, y'know...

What I ended up doing is putting all of the input devices on one Kasa smart powerbar and all of the output devices on another Kasa smart powerbar. Now I turn the devices on and off myself AT THE SOURCE (manually or with my phone), so that the TV does not even have the option of powering on devices or have the option of switching input and output between multiple available devices; there is only one choice for HDMI input and one choice for sound output at any given time.  The Kasa smart powerbar also lets you turn things on/off manually at the strip unlike other powerbars that turn on/off the entire set of outlets on the bar.

It does involve the extra step of turning on/off the HDMI device I want to use and turning on/off the output device I want to use (both at the source), but it sure beats the frustration of having Samsung automatically turn things on and toggle to things I don't mean to use.

Are other TVs better / different when it comes to this stuff? I don't know. I feel like every TV will have its quirks that require workarounds. I am not giving Samsung a "pass" on this as it is really annoying; but I am happy with my workaround and have stopped expecting a firmware update for something that seems to be a feature they put in to make life easier for its users (with the opposite effect for many).

RKCRLR
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

So, am I the only person that wasn't aware of this fix for my Samsung TV automatically commanding my receiver to switch to the TV input when the TV is turned on?  

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01111222/#turn-off-automatic-hdmi-switching-wi...

I've been struggling with this problem for years but the above procedure seems to have fixed it for me.  I just happened to find it when I was doing a search (sure flew under my radar).  Hopefully it stays this way.  

Edit:  Nevermind, the problem still happens after the TV has been turned off for a while.  

Edit #2: Well, it actually did work!  The TV commands the receiver to switch to the TV input when no other device is detected which is what it should do.  

userOkfAmZ3wXP
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
0 Likes