Original topic:

File transfer with USB cable

(Topic created: 11 hours ago)
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

OK, I don't know which board to put this in, so I'm just going to put this here.  I have been trying to connect my A54 to my Windows 10 computer via USB cable so that I could do a Smart Switch backup of the whole device.  However, I cannot get the phone to do anything but recognize the PC as a charger.  This has never been an issue for me, as when I want to do individual file transfers, I do it via a wi-fi connection with an app that connects my phone to my computer, or I use phone link to transfer photos.  

I even turned on the developer options and made sure the default USB configuration was for file transfer (which I assume will also allow for charging), closed out the setting and rebooted my phone.  This did not help at all, both my laptop and my desktop don't see the phone as a device, the phone immediately lights up the charging animation and Smart Switch on the PC does not see a device attached.  None of my flash drives have enough capacity and my two external hard drives are formatted as NTFS and Smart Switch does not like that.

Sooooo, how can I make my phone recognize that it's attached to a computer, not a charger?

0 Likes
20 Replies
johnbright
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Have you tried s different USB c cable
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have.  I even tried connecting with a USB A to USB C connector (until I realized, that is, that my computers had no USB C ports 😀).  That connection worked fine for the flash drives but, alas, the drives did not  have enough capacity.

0 Likes
3Fees
Sun
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Cables come into 2 varieties: charge and charge with 2 extra wires for data transfer.

Can download usb driver's from Samsung to get your phone recognized, can find them by any search engine.

Cheers
3Fees
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

It's a minor annoyance and a puzzle to be solved at this point, but not critical.  As I said, I have other ways to transfer files; have many, many backups of my photos and music and SMS backup of my important conversations and my contacts are all  in Google contacts which, if I so desire, I can backup by downloading a CSV file.  So, in actuality, the Samsung and Google backups should serve their purpose should I have to restore a backup for any reason.

Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Did you try to clear cache in the USB settings? Make sure you toggle on system apps when searching for it.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Just tried it, no joy.

0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
Try Andoid System Settings clearing cache.
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
You are not getting this page in Notifications for Android system 1722285023958_1722285023949_0.jpg
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Where is that setting?  I have seen no page like that.

0 Likes